1 action or sport of running 跑; 跑步; 赛跑
*take up running 开始跑步
* [attrib 作定语] running shoes 跑鞋.
2 management, maintenance or operation 管理; 经营; 维持; 操作
*the day-to-day running of a shop, business, machine, country 商店的日常经营、事务的日常料理、机器的日常运转、国家的日常管理
* [attrib 作定语] the running costs of a car, eg of fuel, repairs, insurance 汽车的消费（如燃料费、保养费、保险费）.
3 (idm 习语) in/out of the `running (for sth) (infml 口) having some/no chance of succeeding or achieving sth 有[无]达到或实现某目的之机会
*be in the running for a management post, a company car 有可能获得管理职位、公司的汽车. make the `running (infml 口) set the pace or standard 定步调; 带头; 做榜样
*Wall Street made Friday's running on the international stock exchange. 在国际股票交易中, 华尔街星期五率先确定了走势行情.
* Mike is rather timid with women, so Sue has to make all the running in their relationship. 迈克在女子面前很 腆, 所以苏珊只好对迈克主动一些.
1 [attrib 作定语] performed while running 边跑边做的; 在奔跑中完成的
*a running jump, kick 跑跳步、跑动踢球.
2 [attrib 作定语] continuous or uninterrupted 连续的; 不断的
*a running battle for control of the party 为控制该党而进行的持续斗争
* The police kept up a running fire of questions during their interrogation of the suspect. 警方审问嫌疑犯时提出了一连串的问题.
3 [pred 作表语] (following a numberand a pl n 用于数字及复数名词之後) in succession; consecutively 接连; 连续
*win three times running 连胜三次
* For the sixth day running, my car wouldn't start. 我的汽车已连续六天发动不起来了.
4 [attrib 作定语] (of water) flowing （指水）流动的
*I can hear running water. 我听见有流水的声音.
* All our rooms have hot and cold running water, ie from taps. 我们所有的房间都有冷热自来水.
5 [attrib 作定语] (of sores, etc) exuding liquid or pus （指伤口等）排出液体的, 流脓的.
6 (idm 习语) in running/working order => order1. take a running `jump
(a) run up to the point where one jumps 助跑起跳.
(b) (sl 俚) (used as a command 用作命令语) go away 走开
*I refused to lend him any more money and told him to take a running jump. 我不愿再借给他钱, 便叫他走开.
1. When he came staggering out of the garden, blood was running from his nose and mouth. 当他从园里摇摇晃晃走出来时，鼻子和嘴里流着血。
2. There´s no profit in running a cinema in this town. 这个镇里电影院是无利可图的.
3. The story is now running in the newspapers. 那故事正在报纸上连载。
4. Though they are running out of food and drink, the men are cheerful and confident that they will get out soon. 虽然他们的食物和饮料都快消耗尽了，但这些人的心情很好，坚信他们很快就会出去。
5. They like climbing, running, diving, swimming, lifting, jumping, and so on. 他们喜欢登山、赛跑、潜水、游泳、举重及跳高等。
6. The men gathered in groups, then scattered, running from one shop to another. 人们一会儿聚在一起，然后散开，从一个车间跑到另一个车间。
7. The streets were filled with the dead and barely living. She kept on running, knowing only that she had to be home. 街上到处都是死人和奄奄一息的人，她不停地跑着，只知道自己必须回家。
8. They used to suffer for about 37 hours after surgery on average with a plastic tube as thick as a thumb running through their mouth or nose and down 11 inches of their throat. 过去，手术后病人平均要疼大约37个小时，一根拇指粗细的塑料导管经口腔或鼻腔插入喉咙，深至11英寸。
9. The tube assists breathing, but patients say it feels like a fire running through their throat and hurts more than having their chest cut open. 导管帮助病人呼吸，但病人说感觉它就像一把火烧过喉咙，比开胸还难受。
10. And seriously believe----at any rate for short periods----that running, jumping and kicking a ball are tests of national virtue. 甚至煞有介事地相信 -- 至少在短期内如此 -- 跑跑、跳跳、踢踢球是对一个民族品德素质的检验。