名词:ugliness 副词:uglily 名词复数:uglies 形容词比较级:uglier 最高级:ugliest
adj (-ier, -iest)
1 unpleasant to look at or to hear 难看的; 难听的; 丑陋的
*an ugly face, child,building 难看的脸、小孩、建筑物
* an ugly wound, gash,scar, etc 丑陋的伤口、刀伤、伤痕等
* the ugly screeching of parrots 鹦鹉那难听的尖叫声.
2 hostile or menacing; ominous 有敌意的; 阴险的; 不祥的
*ugly threats, rumours, insinuations, etc 居心叵测的威胁、谣言、旁敲侧击等 *an ugly laugh, look, wink, etc 奸险的笑声、表情、眨眼等
* The situation in the streets was turning/growing ugly. 街上的情形越发不妙了.
* The crowd was in an ugly mood. 群众已人心汹汹.
* An ugly storm is brewing. 一场可怕的风暴即将来临.
3 (idm 习语) miserable/ugly as sin => sin. an ,ugly `customer (infml 口) person who is difficult, dangerous or unpleasant to deal with 难对付的人; 危险的人; 讨厌的人. an ,ugly `duckling person who at first seems unpromising but who later becomes much admired, very able, etc 丑小鸭（初时似无甚出息而後出人头地的人）.
1200-1300; Language: Old Norse;Origin:
, from uggr 'fear'
extremely unattractive and unpleasant to look at
≠ beautiful a very ugly man the ugliest building in town Nick's dog is as ugly as sin (=very ugly) .
used to describe a situation which is very bad or violent, and which makes you feel frightened or threatened There were ugly scenes as rival gangs started attacking each other. an ugly incident
ugly ideas, feelings, remarks etc are unpleasant Jealousy is an ugly emotion. ugly rumorsugly duckling
someone who is less attractive, successful etc than other people, but who becomes beautiful and successful later>uglinessn[U]
1. But I felt the same inside, not ugly at all. 但是我感受到我的内心一点也没有变，那可一点也不难看。
2. The village seemed deserted, the only sign of life being an ugly-looking black goat on a short length of rope tied to a tree in a field nearby. 村里似乎无人居住，唯一的生命迹象是附近田里一只面目可憎的黑山羊，用一截短绳拴在一棵树上。
3. Now he has put an ugly stone head over the gate. It is one of the ugliest faces I have ever seen. 现在他在大门上挂了一个丑陋的石雕人像。我从未见过这么丑的人头像。
4. Now he has put an ugly stone head over the gate. 现在他把一个丑陋的石雕头像放在了大门上边，
5. Useless, powerless, complaining, sick, weak, conservative, rigid, helpless, unproductive, wrinkled, ugly, unattractive, and on and on. 无用，无能，爱抱怨，多病，体弱，保守，僵化，无助，成不了事，满脸皱纹，丑陋不堪，魅力无存，等等，等等。
6. ´But you are still ugly,´ Sally said. "可是你仍然难看呀，"萨莉说。
7. She suffered from the poverty of her home as she looked at the shabby walls, the worn chairs, the ugly curtains. 每每看到因失修而不堪入目的四壁，破旧的椅子和难看的窗帘，都使她倍尝家境贫困之苦。
8. Since then, every society has had to figure out what to do with its waste — something that is usually unhealthy, smelly, and ugly — throwing garbage in the streets, piling it up just outside of town, building it into structures or simply setting it o 此后，每个社会都要想办法解决垃圾问题——处理那些通常是有害的、难闻的、难看的东西——要么把垃圾扔到街上，要么堆在城外，要么掺在建筑结构里，要么干脆付之一炬。
9. My own ageism told me that how I looked outside was ugly. 我自己对年老的看法告诉我，自己的外表是难看的。
10. It has a very ugly face. 它有一张难看的脸。