n.平原,草原 adj.简单的,明白的,平常的,清晰的,普通的,朴素的 adv.清楚地 n. 无格式
名词:plainness 副词:plainly 形容词比较级:plainer 最高级:plainest
adj (-er, -est)
1 easy to see, hear or understand; clear 清楚的; 明白的; 易懂的; 清晰的
*The markings along the route are quite plain. 路线沿途的标志都十分清楚.
* in plain English 用浅近的英语
* He made it plain (to us) that he did not wish to continue. 他向我们明白表示他不想继续下去.
* She made her annoyance plain. 她已怒形于色.
2 (of people or their actions, thoughts, etc) not trying to deceive; frank and direct （指人、其行为、思想等）率直的, 坦率的, 直接的
*in plain words, ie frankly 明言
* a plain answer 直截了当的回答
* the plain truth 明显的事实
* Let me be plain with you, ie speak openly and frankly
*There will have to be some plain speaking. 让我开诚布公跟你说吧. 得公开而明白地谈一谈.
3 (a) not decorated or luxurious; ordinary and simple 不矫饰的; 朴素的; 普通的; 平凡的; 简单的
*a plain but very elegant dress 朴素而极雅致的连衣裙
* plain food/cooking, ie not spicy or rich 清淡的食物[烹调风味]
* plain cake, ie without fruit, etc 纯蛋糕（无水果等配料的）
* plain chocolate, ie made without adding milk 纯巧克力.
(b) without a pattern or marking on it 没有图案或花纹的
*plain paper, ie without lines 无格纸
* plain fabric, ie without a pattern or design 素的织物
* under plain cover, ie in an envelope without any special marking 在普通信封中（无特殊标记）.
4 not beautiful or good-looking 不漂亮的; 不好看的
*a few rather plain bits of furniture 几件很不起眼的家具
* From a rather plain child she had grown into a beautiful woman. 她从一个相貌平平的女孩成长为一个漂亮的妇人.
5 (idm 习语) in plain `English bluntly or simply expressed 用直率的或简单明了的英语
*If you wanted me to go why didn't you say so in plain English instead of making vague hints? 你想叫我走, 为什么拐弯抹角而不直说? make oneself plain make one's meaning clear 表达清楚
*There is no more money do I make myself plain? 再也没钱了--我的意思清楚吗? (as) plain as a pikestaff/the nose on one's face very obvious or clearly visible 一清二楚; 显然易见; 明摆着的事. (all) ,plain `sailing course of action that is simple and free from trouble 十分顺利; 一帆风顺
*Once the design problems were solved, it was all/everything was plain sailing. 设计问题一经解决, 就容易办了.
adv (esp US)
(a) clearly 清楚地
*speak plain 清楚地说.
(b) absolutely; simply 绝对地; 简直
*That is just plain stupid. 那简直是愚不可及.
n large area of flat land; prairie 平原
*a vast, grassy plain 大平原、草原
* the great plains of the American Midwest 美国中西部的大平原.
n (in knitting) simple basic stitch （编织中的）平针. Cf 参看 purl.
1. Before we had time to worry about what might happen, we were back on the plain again. 我们还未来得及担心后果，车已重新开上了平地。
2. The rough road across the plain soon became so bad that we tried to get Bruce to drive back to the village we had come from. 穿越平原的道路高低不平，开车走了不远，路面愈加崎岖。我们想劝说布鲁斯把车开回我们出发的那个村庄去。
3. The great plain was covered in scrub and small lifeless trees. 大平原上覆盖着灌木和矮小毫无生气的树。
4. The researcher invites the children, one by one, into a plain room and begins the gentle torture. 研究人员将孩子们一个一个地请进一间普普通通的房间，开始了小小的折磨。
5. Names become attached to specific images, as anyone who's been called "a plain Jane" or "just an average Joe" can show. 名字已成为特定形象的组成部分, 任何一个被称为"相貌平常的珍妮"或"普普通通的乔"的人都能证明这一点。
6. At first it was just plain surprising. 起初这对人们绝对是个震惊。
7. Giving way to a stretch of plain where the only obstacles were clumps of bushes. 前面是一片平地，唯一的障碍只有一簇簇灌木丛。这使我们长长地松了口气。
8. "It is very plain to me that he is round and tall like a tree." 我现在才清楚，大象又圆又高，像棵树。”
9. Once waves have been generated, gravity is the force that drives them in a continual attempt to restore the ocean surface to a flat plain. 一旦波浪形成，地球引力是持续不断企图使海面复原为平面的力量。
10. I need fifty sheets of plain paper and a ruler. 我需要50张白纸和一支尺.