副词:varyingly 动词过去式:varied 过去分词:varied 现在分词:varying 第三人称单数:varies
v (pt, pp varied)
1 [I, Ipr] ~ (in sth) be different in size, volume, strength, etc （体积、容积、力量等）呈现不同
*These fish vary in weight from
3 lb to
5 lb. 这些鱼的重量从3磅到5磅不等.
* Opinions vary on this point. 对这一点看法各异.
* The results of the experiment varied wildly. 实验结果差异很大.
2 [I, Ipr] ~ (with sth); ~ (from sth to sth) change, esp according to some factor 改变, 变动, 变化（尤指伴随某种因素而产生）
*Our routine never varies. 我们的常规从无变化.
* Prices vary with the seasons. 物价随季节而变动.
* Her mood varied from optimism to extreme depression.她的情绪由乐观一变而为极度消沉.
* work with varying degrees of enthusiasm 工作积极性有所不同. =>Usage at change1 用法见change1.
3 [Tn] make sth different by introducing changes 使某事物有变化; 改变某事物
*vary a programme, route 更改程序、路线
* varying the pace/speed at which you work 改变你的工作节奏[速度].
v past tense and past participlevariedpresent participlevaryingthird person singularvaries
1300-1400; Language: Old French;Origin:
varier, from Latin
variare, from varius; VARIOUS
if several things of the same type vary, they are all different from each other
= differ Test scores vary from school to school . The heights of the plants vary from 8 cm to 20 cm.vary in flowers that vary in color and size Medical treatment varies greatly from state to state. Cooking times may vary slightly , depending on your oven. Charges vary according to size. She has tried different diets with varying degrees of success. tests of varying levels of difficulty [I]
if something varies, it changes depending on the situation Quentin's mood seems to vary according to the weather. 'What do you wear when you go out?' 'Well, it varies .' [T]
to change something to make it different My doctor said I should vary my diet more.
COLLOCATES for sense 1vary from place to place/person to person etcvary from something to somethingvary considerably/greatly/widely/enormouslyvary slightlyvary according to/depending on somethingvarying degrees/levels/sizes/amounts
1. While the reasons for entering the work force may vary from country to country, women everywhere are finding that to give their children an adequate life, getting a job is no longer optional. 尽管加入工作大军的原因可能因国而异，但各地的妇女都发现，要让孩子丰衣足食，惟一的选择就是找一份工作。
2. Alfred had learned many of their ballads in his youth, and could vary his programme with acrobatic tricks and simple conjuring. 阿尔弗德年轻时学过许多民歌，并能穿插演一些杂技和小魔术使自己的节目多样化。
3. You can vary the pressure at will. 你可以随意变化压力。
4. Social customs vary greatly from country to country. 各国的风俗习惯大不相同.
5. It stands as the most extensive survey to date on how humans vary at the level of their genes. The book's firm conclusion: 它对人类在基因层面上的差异作了迄今为止最为广泛的调查，得出了明确的结论：