名词:worthiness 副词:worthily 名词复数:worthies 形容词比较级:worthier 最高级:worthiest
adj (-ier, -iest)
1 [pred 作表语] ~ of sth/to do sth deserving sth or to do sth 应得某事物; 值得做某事
*Their efforts are worthy of your support.他们这样努力应得到你的支持.
* a statement worthy of contempt 应该鄙弃的说法
* Her achievements are worthy of the highest praise. 她的成就值得给予最高赞赏.
* She said she was not worthy to accept the honour they had offered her. 她说她不配接受他们给予的荣誉.
2 [usu attrib 通常作定语]
(a) (approv 褒) deserving respect or consideration 值得尊敬的; 值得考虑的
*a worthy cause 崇高的事业
* a worthy record of achievements 以往的突出的成就.
(b) (usu joc 通常作戏谑语) (esp of a person) deserving respect or recognition （尤指人）应受到尊敬或赏识的
*the worthy citizens of the town 该镇中应受敬重的市民.
3 [pred 作表语] ~ of sb/sth (usu approv 通常作褒义)
(a) suitable for sth 适合于某事物
*It was difficult to find words worthy of the occasion. 很难找到适合于那种场合的言词.
(b) typical of sb/sth 某人[某事物]的典型
*It was a performance worthy of a master. 那是大师的典型表演.
n (esp joc 尤作戏谑语) person of importance or distinction 要人; 俊杰
*One of the local worthies has been invited to the ceremony 本地的一个大人物已被邀请参加典礼.
1. The inner workings of our own brains we feel to be uniquely worthy of investigation, 我们觉得，只有我们大脑内部的活动情况才值得研究，
2. He´s a worthy model worker. 他是个名副其实的模范工人。
3. Shortly after this the famous H. M. S. Challenger expedition established the study of the sea-floor as a subject worthy of the most qualified physicists and geologists. 此后不久，英国著名的"挑战者"号舰艇对海底的那次考察，把对海床的研究确立为一个值得一流物理学家和地质学家从事的研究课题，
4. Unless a certain amount of time is allowed to elapse, it seems in their eyes as if the task being considered were insignificant, not worthy of proper respect. 在他们看来，如果不是花一定时间来处理某件事的话 ，则这件事就好像是无足轻重的，不值得给予适当的重视。