名词:wretchedness 副词:wretchedly 形容词比较级:wretcheder 最高级:wretchedest
1 (a) very unhappy; miserable or pitiable 极不愉快的; 悲惨的; 可怜的
*the wretched survivors of the earthquake 地震後可怜的幸存者
* His stomach-ache made him feel wretched (ie ill) all day. 他胃疼得整天十分难受.
(b) causing unhappiness or misery 令人苦恼或难受的
*lead a wretched existence in the slums 在贫民窟中过着悲惨的日子.
2 of very poor quality; very bad 质量极劣的; 极坏的
*wretched weather 恶劣的天气
* The hotel food was absolutely wretched. 这家旅馆的饭菜糟透了.
3 [attrib 作定语] (infml 口) (used to express annoyance 用以表示恼怒) damned 该死的
*The wretched car won't start! 这辆倒霉汽车就是发动不起来!
* It's that wretched cat again! 又是那只该死的猫!
someone who is wretched is very unhappy or ill, and you feel sorry for them the poor, wretched girl
if you feel wretched, you feel guilty and unhappy because of something bad that you have done Guy felt wretched about it now. [only before noun]
making you feel annoyed or angry Where is that wretched boy?literary
extremely bad or unpleasant
= miserable I was shocked to see their wretched living conditions.>wretchedlyadv>wretchednessn[U]
1. We don´t just pay money for these wretched sties. 住这些破烂猪圈我们付出的不仅仅是钱，
2. The hotel food was absolutely wretched. 这家旅馆的饭菜糟透了.
3. Life on a desert island is wretched. 认为荒岛生活很可怕，