动词过去式:burned/burnt 过去分词:burned/burnt 现在分词:burning 第三人称单数:burns
n (Scot 苏格兰) small stream 小溪; 小河.
v (pt, pp burnt/ b\:nt; b[nt/ or burned/ b\:nd; b[nd/) =>Usage at dream2 用法见dream2.
1 (a) [Tn] destroy, damage, injure or mark(sb/sth) by fire, heat or acid 烧毁, 烧坏, 烧伤, 烧焦, 烫伤, 酸蚀（某人[某物]）
*burn dead leaves, waste paper, rubbish, etc 焚烧枯叶、废纸、垃圾等
* The house was burnt to the ground, ie completely destroyed by fire. 这所房子已焚为平地.
* All his belongings were burnt in the fire. 他所有的财物都已付之一炬.
* Sorry, I've burnt the toast. 对不起, 我把面包片烤焦了.
* His face was badly burnt by the hot sun. 他的脸被烈日晒伤了.
* The soup is very hot. Don't burn your mouth. 汤很热. 别烫着你的嘴.
* The child burnt its fingers/itself while playing with a match. 那孩子玩火柴时把手指[自己]烧伤了.
(b) [I] be marked, damaged or spoilt in this way 被烧坏; 被烧毁; 被烧伤; 被烧焦; 被烫着; 被酸蚀
*Her skin burns easily. 她的皮肤不禁晒.
* I can smell something burning. 我闻到有东西烧焦了.
2 [Tn, Tn.pr] make (a hole or mark) by burning 烧出（窟窿或痕迹）
*The cigarette burnt a hole in the carpet. 香烟在地毯上烧了一个窟窿.
3 [Tn] use (sth) as fuel 使用（某物）为燃料
*Do you burn coal as well as wood on this fire? 你是不是用煤也用木头 生这炉火?
* a central heating boiler that burns gas/oil/coke 以煤气[石油/焦炭]为燃料的中央供暖锅炉.
4 [I, Tn] (cause a person or an animal to) be killed by fire （使人或动物）被烧死
*Ten people burnt to death in the hotel fire. 旅馆失火烧死了十人.
* Joan of Arc was burnt (alive) at the stake. 圣女贞德在火刑柱上被（活活）烧死.
5 (a) [La, I] be on fire or alight; produce heat or light 燃烧; 发光; 发热; 发亮
*a burning building 燃烧着的建筑物
* The house burned for hours before the blaze was put out. 那所房子燃烧了数小时火才扑灭.
* A fire was burning merrily in the grate. 壁炉里炉火很旺.
* The fire had burnt low, ie was nearly out. 火快要熄灭了.
* A single light burned in the empty house. 那所空房子里有一盏孤灯亮着.
(b) [I] be able to catch fire 能点着
*Paper burns easily. 纸容易点着.
* Damp wood doesn't burn well. 潮湿的木头不好烧.
6 [Tn] make (sth
11 (phr v) burn away continue to burn 继续燃烧
*a fire burning away in the grate 壁炉里继续燃着的炉火. burn (sth) away
(a) (cause sth to) become less by burning （使某物）逐渐烧掉
*Half the candle had burnt away. 蜡烛已烧掉一半.
(b) (cause sth to) be removed by burning （将某物）烧掉
*Most of the skin on his face got burnt away in the fire. 在火灾中, 他脸上的皮肤大部分烧掉了.
1 injury or mark caused by fire, heat or acid 火、热或酸所造成的伤害或伤痕
*He died of the burns he received in the fire. 他因在火灾中受烧伤而死.
2 firing of the rockets in a spacecraft (to change its course) 宇宙飞船中的火箭的发射（以改变航向）.
1. This afternoon a girl accidentally set down an iron on my hand and I got a bad burn. 今天下午，一个姑娘不小心，把熨斗放在我手上了，我就给烫伤了。
2. He suffered torments from a bad burn. 他因严重烧伤而受痛苦。
3. Dump it, burn it, turn it into something you can use again, attempt to produce less of it. 倾倒、焚烧、把垃圾变成再生材料或试图少产生一些垃圾。
4. "What time this afternoon did you burn your hand, Delia?" “德丽雅，你下午什么时候烫伤手的？”
5. On 5 November British children burn effigies of Guy Fawkes. 每逢11月5日英国儿童都焚烧盖伊・福克斯的模拟像.
6. In many companies, workers unwilling to burn the midnight oil are at risk. 在许多公司里，不愿意开夜车的职工的处境岌岌可危。