pos＝to place,to put（置,放）
1 [C] thing composed, eg a piece of music, a poem or a book 作品（如乐曲、诗或书）
*`Swan Lake' is one of Tchaikovsky's best-known compositions. 《天鹅湖》是柴可夫斯基最着名的作品之一.
(a) action of composing sth, eg a piece of music or writing, type for printing, etc 创作
*He played a piano sonata of his own composition, ie that he himself had composed. 他演奏了一首自己创作的钢琴奏鸣曲.
(b) art of composing music 作曲艺术
*studying composition at music school 在音乐学校学习作曲艺术.
3 [C] short piece of non-fictional writing done as a school or college exercise; essay 作文; 散文.
4 [U] the parts of which sth is made; make-up 成分; 组成部分
*the composition of the soil 土壤的成分
* (fig 比喻) He has a touch of madness in his composition, ie He is a little mad. 他有点疯疯癫癫的.
5 [U] arrangement of elements in a painting, photograph, etc （绘画、摄影等的）构图
*Her drawing is competent, but her composition is poor. 她的画有功力, 但布局欠佳.
6 [C, U] substance, esp an artificial one, composed of more than one material （尤指人工）合成的物质
*a composition used as flooring material 合成的地板材料
* [attrib 作定语] a composition floor 合成地板.
1【parts/members】2【music/writing】3【picture】4【writing at school】5【printing】
1300-1400; Language: Old French;Origin:Latin
compositio, from compositus; COMPOSITE1
]【PARTS/MEMBERS】 [U and C]
the way in which something is made up of different parts, things, or members
→composecomposition of The composition of the group that is studied depends on the interests of the researcher. Some minerals have complex chemical compositions.【MUSIC/WRITING】a)[C]
a piece of music, a poem, or a piece of writing
, composer composer a composition by jazzman Dave Brubeck, called 'Chromatic Fantasy' a mixture of traditional songs and original compositionsb)[U]
the art or process of writing pieces of music, poems etc The Journals contain accounts of literary composition.【PICTURE】 [U and C]
the way in which the different parts that make up a photograph or picture are arranged Martin starts by lightly sketching in the compositions for his paintings.【WRITING AT SCHOOL】[C]
a short piece of writing about a particular subject, that is done at school
= essay I had to write a composition about the Royal visit.【PRINTING】[U]technical
the process of arranging words, pictures etc on a page before they are printed>compositionaladj
1. He wrote badly and handed in the composition with discomfort. 他的作文写得不好，交卷时很不好意思。
2. He was strongly influenced by medieval artists and inspired by the Gothic window of an old farmhouse, but the faces in his composition were what captured the world's attention. 伍德深受中世纪艺术家的影响，他的灵感来自于一所古老农舍的哥特式窗户，但最令世界注目的是画中人物的脸。
3. As its Composition and line reminded him of an Italian painting he knew well, he decided to buy it. 画面构图与纸条使他想起一幅他所熟悉的意大利画，于是他决定将画买了下来。
4. An English teacher usually divides her time among three subjects: language (grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc.), composition, and literature. 英语教师一般都分三种课程来安排时间，即语言(语法、标点、拼写等)，作文和文学。
5. Vera´s composition is good, but it doesn´s deserve the lavish praise that Linda gave it. 综合症拉的作文不错，但却不值得琳达过度的称赞。