1 [U] organizing and developing (of sth) （某事物的）组织, 形成, 构成
*the formation of a new government 新政府的组成
* the formation of national character 民族特性的形成.
2 [C] thing that is formed, esp in a particular or characteristic way 形成物（尤指结构特殊的）; 结构
*cloud, rock formations 云层、岩层
* new word formations 新词的构成.
3 [U] particular arrangement or pattern 编排; 编队; 队形
*aircraft flying in formation 编队飞行的飞机
* [attrib 作定语] for`mation flying 编队飞行.
the process of starting a new organization or group
= creationformation of the formation of a new government[U]
the process by which something develops into a particular thing or shapeformation of the substances which lead to the formation of ozone We now know a lot more about the early stages of planetary formation.[C]
the way in which a group of things are arranged to form a pattern or shape troop formationsin formation
if a group of planes, ships, soldiers etc are moving in formation, they are flying, marching etc in a particular order or pattern a squadron of aircraft, flying in formation [U and C]
rock or cloud that is formed in a particular shape, or the shape in which it is formedrock/cloud formation the canyon's impressive rock formations [U and C]technical
society, politics etc seen as a system of practices and beliefssocial/political/cultural etc formation Marx founded a new science: the science of the history of social formations.
1. The cloud formation covered the sun. 云层遮住了太阳。
2. Or protect them from sharks by surrounding them in defensive formation. 或在人们周围列队保护，使他们免遭鲨鱼伤害。
3. His studies with rats have demonstrated two primary effects of activity: vigorous physical exercise provides the brain with more fuel, and skill-based exercise increases the formation of connections in the brain, which, according to the proposals of 他对老鼠的研究已经表明运动具有两大功效：强力体育运动给大脑提供更多的燃料，而技巧性的运动则增强大脑神经的联结。依照某些科学家的见解，这种联结能使大脑更好地处理信息。