1 (a) of the sex that can give birth to children or produce eggs 女的; 母的; 雌性的
*a female dog, cat, pig, etc 母狗、母猫、母猪.
(b) (of plants and flowers) producing fruit （指树木、花卉）结果实的, 雌性的, 有雌蕊的
*a female fig-tree 雌性无花果树.
2 of or typical of women 妇女的; 女性的; 女性特有的
*female suffrage 妇女选举权
* the female mentality 妇女心态.
3 (of a plug, socket, etc) having a hollow part designed to receive an inserted part （指插头、插座等）有内孔的, 凹的.
1 female animal or plant 雌性的动物或植物.
2 (often derog 常作贬义) woman 女人
*Who on earth is that female he's with? 跟他在一起的那个女人究竟是谁?
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
1 (a) Male and female are nouns and adjectives used to indicate the sex of living things *male和female既可作名词也可作形容词, 用以表示生物的性别
*a male/female giraffe, bird, sardine, child, flower, etc 公[母]长颈鹿、鸟、沙丁鱼; 男[女]孩子; 雄性的[雌性的]花等
* The males in the herd protect the females and the young. 兽群中的雄性动物保护雌性动物和幼仔.
(b) When speaking of humans the adjectives male/female refer especially to the physical features of one sex or the other *male/female作形容词用于人时, 尤指男女的性别特徵
*The male voice is deeper than the female. 男性的嗓音比女性的低沉.
* the female figure 女性的身材.
(c) When speaking about occupations, we usually say
*a woman doctor/women doctors (NOT a female doctor/female doctors, though we do say a male doctor, NOT a man doctor). 谈到男女的 职业, 通常说
*a woman doctor/ women doctors（不可说a female doctor/ female doctors, 但却一定要说a male doctor, 而不可说a man doctor）.
(d) The nouns male/female should not be used to refer to people (as opposed to their qualities, etc) *male/female作名词时不能用以指人. They can give offence, esp female. 用于指人时会引起反感, 尤其是female一词. We use man/woman instead 这时要用man/woman
*Men have more body hair than women. 男人的寒毛比女人的多.
2 (a) Masculine and feminine are adjectives used to describe the behaviour, appearance, etc considered normal or acceptable for humans of one sex or the other. *masculine和feminine为形容词, 用以描述所谓正常的或公认的男女之别, 如行为、外貌等. They can therefore be used of the `opposite' sex
*a man can be described as feminine but not female 形容男人可用feminine而不可用female
*She dresses in a very feminine way. 她穿得非常女性化.
* She has a deep masculine voice. 她的声音像男人的那样低沉.
(b) As nouns and adjectives masculine and feminine (as well as neuter) indicate grammatical gender. *masculine和feminine（以及neuter）作名词和形容词, 分别用以指语法中的阳性和阴性（以及中性）.
1. But the ratio is even greater among active women, affecting up to 80 percent of female endurance athletes. 而这一比例在积极锻炼的妇女中数值更高，女耐力运动员中缺铁的则高达80%。
2. When surveyors ask U.S. female high-school students what they are going to do when they graduate, they list all kinds of roles they want to fill, like doctors, lawyers, engineers, accountants, civil servants, police and firemen, and fighter pilots. 当调查人员询问美国女中学生们毕业后打算做什么时，她们列出了各种各样她们所喜欢做的工作，如当医生、律师、工程师、会计、文职官员、警察、消防员以及战斗机驾驶员。
3. That is a female dog. 那是一只母狗.
4. The tobacco industry, coupled with Hollywood movies in which both male and female heroes smoked like chimneys, completely won over people like my father, who were hopelessly hooked by cigarettes. 烟草业，再加上好来坞电影——影 片中的男女主角都是老烟鬼——把像我父亲那样的人完完全全争取了过去, 他们无可救药地抽烟上了瘾。
5. Heterosexual(异性之间的) spreading is low, but there is danger that the spread of AIDS from male(男性) IV-drug users to their female(女性) partners could increase the appearance of AIDS in the heterosexual population. 异性之间传播可能性不大，但艾滋病从男性静脉注射吸毒者传播到他们的女性伴侣，则有可能提高异性恋者艾滋病的发病率。
6. He put the combined cell — then a newly growing embryo — into a grown female sheep. 他把结合后的细胞——此时已是一个重新生长的细胞——植入一只成熟母羊的体内。
7. He implanted 29 of those into female sheep. Only one adult gave birth to a lamb. 他将其中29个植入母羊体内，只有一只成年羊分娩了羊羔。
8. A mule is a hybrid of a male donkey and a female horse. 骡子是公驴和母马交配而生的杂种动物.
9. A recent survey showed that American men thought Susan to be the most attractive female name, while women believed Richard and David were the most attractive for men. 最新调查表明：美国男人认为苏珊是最有吸引力的女性名字，而女人则认为里查德和戴维是男人中最有吸引力的名字。
10. Much of the advertising of this year's return to heels as high as 6 inches focuses on the shoes and the short skirts that go with them as a statement by women of their sexiness and female charm. 许多为今年重新流行高达6英寸的高跟鞋所作的广告把重点放在显示女人的性感和女性魅力的鞋子、以及与之相配的短裙上面。