1 (also Madam) [sing] (fml 文) (polite form of address to a woman, whether married or unmarried, usu sb one does not know personally 对女子的敬称, 对已婚未婚者均可使用, 通常用于不相识者)
*Can I help you, madam? 小姐, 您有什么事?
* Dear Madam, ie used like Dear Sir in a letter 敬启者（用于信中, 如同Dear Sir）
* Madam Chairman, may I be allowed to speak? 主席先生, 我可以发言吗? Cf 参看 miss2 2.
2 [C] (infml derog 口, 贬) girl or young woman who likes to get her own way 自行其是的年轻女子
*She's a real little madam! 她可真是个我行我素的小姐!
3 [C esp sing 尤作单数] woman who is in charge of a brothel 鸨母.
1200-1300; Language: Old French;Origin:
ma dame 'my lady'
used to address a woman in a polite way, especially a customer in a shop
American Equivalent: ma'am Are you being served, Madam?Dear Madamformal
used at the beginning of a business letter to a woman, when you do not know her nameMadam President/Ambassador etc
used to address a woman who has an important official position[C]
a woman who is in charge of a brothela (proper) little madamBrE informal
a young girl who is very confident and who expects other people to do everything she wants
1. There is a story that holds that high heels were first brought to America by a famous New Orleans madam who discovered that she could charge twice as much when a woman wore high heels. 有一种说法，说高跟鞋最早是由新奥尔良州的一位名媛带到美国来的,她发现自己穿高跟鞋时身价倍增。
2. Do you like this dress, madam? 夫人，您喜欢这件衣服吗？
3. Alas, they´ve all sold out, madam. 哎呀, 都卖光了, 小姐.
4. Assistant: Do you like this dress, madam? 营业员: 夫人, 您喜欢这件连衣裙吗?
5. At a village fair, I decided to visit a fortune-teller called Madam Bellinsky. 在一个乡村集市上，我决定去拜访一位名叫 Bellinsky 的算命人。
6. Assistant: Do you like this dress, madam? 营业员: 夫人, 您喜欢这件连衣裙吗?
7. At a village fair, I decided to visit a fortune-teller called Madam Bellinsky. 在一个乡村集市上，我决定去拜访一位称作别林斯夫人的算命人。
8. As soon as I went outside, I forgot all about Madam Bellinsky because my wife hurried towards me. 我一走出帐篷，就把别林斯基夫人给算卦的事忘得一干二净了，因为我的妻子正匆匆向我跑来。
9. Judith Martin, in her writings under the name of "Miss Manners", suggests the phrase, "Most honored sir or madam". 朱迪斯·马丁在用笔名"礼仪小姐" 撰写的著作里建议这样称呼："尊敬的先生/夫人"。
10. Can you change this ten-pound note, madam? 夫人，您能把这10英镑的钞票换开吗？