1 [C, U] who or what sb/sth is 本身; 本体; 身分
*There is no clue to the identity of the thief. 没有确定窃贼身分的线索.
* The cheque will be cashed on proof of identity. 这张支票凭身分证件兑现.
* This is a clear case of mistaken identity, eg when the wrong person is arrested by mistake. 这显然是个误认的案例（如捕错人）.
2 [U] (state of) exact likeness or sameness 相同（性）; 一致（性）.
1500-1600; Language: Late Latin;Origin:
identitas, from Latin
] [U and C]
someone's identity is their name or who they are The identity of the killer is still unknown.He maintained he did not know the identity of the woman.Why did she need to conceal her identity ?Police are trying to discover the identity of a baby found by the side of a road.They will testify behind a screen in order to protect their identities .She applied for a teaching job under a false identity . One theory was that the attack was a case of mistaken identity .Journalists should have to produce proof of identity .[U]
the qualities and attitudes that a person or group of people have, that make them different from other people Children need continuity, security, and a sense of identity . Travelling alone can lead to a loss of identity .national/cultural/social etc identity
(=a strong feeling of belonging to a particular group, race etc) Our strong sense of national identity has been shaped by our history.identity crisis/crisis of identity
(=a feeling of uncertainty about who you really are and what your purpose is) My father experienced an identity crisis in middle age.[U]formal
between two things
COLLOCATES for sense 1somebody's identity/the identity of somebodyknow somebody's identitydisclose/reveal somebody's identityhide/conceal somebody's identitydiscover somebody's identityprotect somebody's identity
(=make sure no one finds out who someone is) false identity
(=when someone pretends to be another person) (a case of) mistaken identity
(=when you think someone is a different person) somebody's true identity
(=who someone really is) proof of identity
(=something that proves you are who you say you are) identity papers/documents
(=documents that show you are who you say you are)
1. But if such consent were given, whose "right" to genetic identity would be violated? 但是，如果事先得到允许，那又会侵犯谁的基因身份"权"呢？
2. The police have no clue to his identity. 警察没有任何线索可以确定他的身份。
3. And I do not insist that you surrender your identity to match an image of what I expect you to be for me. 我不会为了自己而坚持要他放弃个性来变成我所希望的他。
4. "Don't give yourself impossible things, but things that will affect your identity, control and self-worth." 别让自己去做不可能做到的事，而是做那些会影响你的个性、控制能力和自尊心的事情。"
5. A leading lawyer has suggested that cloning would violate the "right to a unique genetic identity". 一名权威律师暗示说，克隆将会侵犯"基因惟一身份权"。
6. She wanted to be there as an anchor for her but at the same time she would give her her freedom to find her own identity. 她想在桑迪的身边，做她的保护人，同时又给她以寻找自我价值的自由。
7. But, so far, the archaeologists have been unable to discover her identity. 不过，考古工作者至今未能确定这位女神的身份。
8. I suppose they're expressing their identity but it's so very different from what we did." 我想他们是在表达着他们的自我与本色，可这种表达方式与我们过去完全不一样。"
9. For one thing, being a problem gives you a certain identity, and that is one of the things the young are busily engaged in seeking. 因为这至少使我得到了某种承认，这正是年轻人所热衷追求的。