adj.空闲的,懒惰的,停顿的,无用的,无价值的 vi.不做事,游手好闲,(机器)空转,虚度,闲散,不作事,游手好闲,浪费 vt.虚度,使空闲,使空转
副词:idly 形容词比较级:idler 最高级:idlest 名词:idleness 动词过去式:idled 过去分词:idled 现在分词:idling 第三人称单数:idles
adj (-r, -st)
1 (a) doing or having no work; not employed 闲散的; 不工作的或没有工作的
*Many people were idle during the depression. 在那萧条时期, 很多人都无事可做.
(b) not active or in use 闲置的
*The factory machines lay idle during the workers' strike. 在工人罢工期间, 工厂的机器都闲置着.
2 (of time) not spent in doing sth （指时间）空闲的
*We spent many idle hours just sitting in the sun. 我们在太阳地里呆呆坐了好几个钟头.
3 (of people) avoiding work; lazy （指人）无所事事的, 懒散的, 懒惰的
*an idle, useless student 懒散、不成器的学生.
4 [usu attrib 通常作定语] worthless or having no special purpose or effect; useless 无价值的; 徒然的; 无效的; 无用的
*an idle threat/promise 说说而已的恐吓[允诺]
* idle curiosity/gossip/speculation 无聊的好奇[闲言碎语/胡思乱想]
* It's idle to expect help from him. 指望他帮助只会是一场空.
5 (idm 习语) the devil makes work for idle hands => devil1.
1 [I, Ip] ~ (about) do nothing; waste time; be idle 无所事事; 浪费时光; 闲荡
*Stop idling and help me clean up. 别游手好闲的, 来帮我打扫打扫吧.
2 [I] (of an engine) run slowly in neutral gear or without doing work （指发动机）挂空挡, 空转.
3 (phr v) idle sth away waste (time) 虚度（光阴）
*idle away the hours watching TV 把时间浪费在看电视上.
1. We spent many idle hours just sitting in the sun. 我们在太阳地里呆呆坐了好几个钟头.
2. Then she imposed her company upon him, accompanying him in his idle walks to the mill to press her attempt to penetrate the silence in which he had unconsciously covered himself. 而后她执意要陪他散步到磨坊去, 试图打破他这种并非有意的沉默，
3. He had started for Rushton & Co. the previous Monday after having been idle for three weeks, and as the house where he was working had to be done through he had congratulated himself on having secured a job that would last till Christmas. 闲了三个星期后，从这个星期一起，他开始为拉什顿公司干活。他暗自庆幸自己找到的工作能干到圣诞节，因为他正在整理的那座房子需要彻底装修。
4. An idle youth, a needy age. 少壮不努力，老大徒伤悲。