/'nɒnsns; [US] -sens; `nɑnsɛns/
1 [U] meaningless words 无意义的词语
*jumble up the words in a sentence to produce nonsense 打乱句子的词序而失去意义
* This so-called translation is pure nonsense. 这种所谓的翻译纯粹一窍不通.
2 (a) [U, sing] foolish talk,ideas, etc 胡说; 废话; 荒唐念头; 糊涂想法
*You're talking nonsense! 你胡说八道!
* `I won't go.' `Nonsense! You must go!' ｀我不去.＇｀胡说! 你必须去!＇
* This discovery makes
(a) nonsense of (ie clearly disproves) previous theories. 这一发现证明了过去的理论不能成立.
(b) [U] foolish or unacceptable behaviour 愚蠢的行为; 胡闹
*Stop that nonsense, children, and get into bed! 别胡闹了, 孩子们, 都睡觉去!
* He won't stand any nonsense from the staff. 他决不容忍员工胡作非为.
3 (idm 习语) stuff and nonsense => stuff1.
4 make (a) nonsense of something
5 nonsense poems/verse/rhymes
ideas, opinions, statements etc that are not true or that seem very stupid
British Equivalent: rubbish
'I'm a prisoner in my own home.' 'Nonsense!'
'Nobody cares about me.' 'That's absolute nonsense, Mary!'
all this nonsense about health foods
If you ask me, these modern teaching methods are a load of nonsense (=a lot of nonsense) .
He was talking utter nonsense as usual.
be a nonsenseBrE
The government's housing policy is a nonsense.
By 1832 the idea had become an economic nonsense.
it is (a) nonsense to do sth
It is nonsense to say that mistakes are never made.
behaviour that is stupid and annoying
You're to stop that nonsense , do you hear me?
not stand/put up with/take any nonsense
(=not accept such behaviour)
She won't stand any nonsense from the kids in her class.
speech or writing that has no meaning or cannot be understood
Computer programs look like complete nonsense to me.
make (a) nonsense of sth
BrE to make an action, system, or plan useless or ineffective
Having the army still in power makes a nonsense of last year's elections.
poetry that is humorous because it does not have a normal sensible meaning
1. Whatsoever nonsense the newspapers print, some people always believe it. 无论报纸上刊登什么荒谬的东西, 总会有人相信。
2. In Modern Times in 1936, the first film in which he was heard as a singing waiter, he made up a nonsense language which sounded like no known nationality. 1936的《摩登时代》是第一部他在影片里发声唱歌的电影，他扮演一名侍者，操着编造的胡言乱语，听起来不像任何国家的语言。
3. That´s nonsense.Without money, I would be so sad I would commit suicide at once. 无稽之谈,如果没有钱,我伤心的几乎要马上自杀.
4. At first , Robert Fulton´s plans for his steamboat were derided as chimerical nonsense. 起初，罗伯特富尔敦的汽船设计被笑为荒诞无聊的事。
5. "Fuss!" she hotly replied. "Nonsense! How can you say such a thing! "大惊小怪！" 她急急回道，"瞎说，你怎么这么说！
6. "Oh, nonsense; I´ll be very careful. Now let me try. Say, I´ll give you the core of my apple." “哦，胡说；我会很小心的。让我来试试。我把苹果的果核给你。”
7. Love is meant to bring meaning into life where nonsense appears to rule. 爱应该给我们这充满荒谬的生活带来意义。
8. It is characteristic of him to talk nonsense. 胡说八道是他的特征。