adv part (For special uses with many vs, eg give over, see the relevant v entries. 可与许多动词连用, 如give over, 其释义见各动词词条. )
1 (a) outwards and downwards from an upright position 从直立位置向外和向下
*Don't knock that vase over. 别把那个花瓶碰倒.
* He fell over on the ice. 他摔倒在冰上.
* I wobbled uncertainly for a couple of paces, then over I went. 我踉跄了几步就跌倒了.
* The wind must have blown it over. 一定是风把它吹掉了.
(b) from one side to another side 从一边到另一边
*Turn the patient over onto his front. 把病人翻过去让他俯卧.
* Turn over the page. 把这页翻过去.
* The car skidded off the road and rolled over and over down the slope. 汽车滑出路面, 打着滚翻下坡去.
* After ten minutes, turn the meat over, ie to cook the other side. 烹调十分钟後把肉翻个个儿.
(c) across (a street, an open space, etc) 穿过, 横过（街道、开阔地等）
*Take these letters over to the post office. 把这些信送到对面邮局去.
* Let me row you over to the other side of the lake. 我把你划到湖对岸去吧.
* He has gone over to/is over in France. 他到法国去了.
* Let's ask some friends over, ie to our home. 咱们请几个朋友来吧.
* Put the tray over there. 把托盘放到那边去.
2 (esp US) again 再; 又
*He repeated it several times over (ie again and again) until he could remember it. 他重复了几遍直到记住为止.
* We did the house over (ie redecorated it) and bought new furniture. 我们把房子重新布置一番并买了新家具.
3 left unused; remaining 剩余; 余下
*If there's any food (left) over, put it in the fridge. 食物要是剩下就放进冰箱里.
* I'll have just
10 over when I've paid all my debts. 要是我把债还清了, 我就只剩下10英 镑了. *
2 over. 用7除30得4余2.
4 in addition; more 加上; ...多
*children of fourteen and over 十四岁和十四岁以上的少年 *
10 metres and a bit over 10米多一点. Cf 参看 under 4.
5 ended 结束; 完结
*Their relationship is over. 他们的关系已经吹了.
* By the time we arrived the meeting was over. 我们到达时, 会议已结束了.
* `It's all over with him (ie He is going to die),' the doctor said gently. ｀他不行了,＇医生轻声地说.
6 (a) (indicating transfer or change from one person, group, place, etc to another 表示转移或更换)
*He's gone over to the enemy, ie joined them. 他已投敌.
* Please change the plates over, ie exchange their positions. 请把盘子调一下.
(b) (used when communicating by radio 用于无线电通话)
*Message received. Over, ie It is your turn to speak. 信息收到. 完毕. （该你说了. ）
7 so as to cover (sb/sth) entirely 全部遮盖（某人[某物]）
*paint sth over 把某物全部涂上颜料
* The lake is completely frozen over. 湖面全部封冻.
* Cover her over with a blanket. 给她盖好毯子.
8 (idm 习语) (all) over a`gain a second time (from the beginning) （从头）再一次
*He did the work so badly that I had to do it all over again myself. 他干的太差劲了, 我只好亲自重做. over against sth (fml 文) in contrast with sth 与某事物对比
*the benefits of private education over against state education 私人办学比起国家教育的好处. ,over and ,over (a`gain) many times; repeatedly 一再; 多次; 反覆
*I've warned you over and over (again) not to do that. 我已多次告诫过你不要做那件事.
* Say the words over and over to yourself. 把这些话自己重复几遍吧.
prep (For special uses with many vs, eg argue over sth, get over sth, fall over sth, see thev entries. 可与许多动词连用, 如argue over sth get over sth、fall over sth, 其释义见各动词词条. )
1 (not replaceable by above in this sense 此义不可用above替换) resting on the surface of and partly or completely covering (sb/sth) 附于（某人[某物]）之上并将之部分或全部遮住
*Spread a cloth over the table. 在桌子上铺上桌布.
* She put a rug over the sleeping child. 她给睡着的孩子盖上了毯子.
* He put his hand over her mouth to stop her screaming. 他伸手捂住她的嘴, 不让她叫喊. => Usage at above2 用法见above2
2 in or to a position higher than but not touching (sb/sth) 在或向（某人[某物]）的上方但不接触
*They held a large umbrella over her. 他们给她打着一把大伞.
* The sky was a clear blue over our heads. 我们头顶上是蔚蓝的天空.
* The balcony juts out over the street. 那个阳台伸出于街道上方.
* There was a lamp (hanging) over the table. 桌子上方悬（挂）着一盏灯. Cf 参看 above2 1a, under. => Usage at above2 用法见above2
3 (a) from one side of (sth) to the other; across 从（某物）的一边到另一边; 横越
*a bridge over the river 桥横跨河面
* run over the grass 跑过草地
* escape over the frontier 逃出边界
* look over the hedge 隔着树篱看.
(b) on the far or opposite side of (sth) 在（某物）的远端或对面
*He lives over the road. 他住在马路对过.
* Who lives in that house over the way (ie on the other side of the road or street)? 谁住在路对面那所房子里?
* Over the river is private land. 河的那边是私人的土地.
* (fig 比喻) We're over (ie We have completed) the most difficult stage of the journey. 我们已度过旅程中最困难的阶段.
(c) so as to cross (sth) and be on the other side 越过（某物）到另一边
*climb over a wall 爬过一堵墙
* jump over the stream 跳过小溪
* go over the mountain 翻过那座山.
4 (esp with all 尤与all连用) in or across every part or most parts of (sth/a place) 遍及（某物[某地]）各处或大部分
*Snow is falling (all) over the country. 全国各地都在下雪.
* He's famous all over the world. 他名闻全世界.
* He sprinkled sugar over his cereal. 他在麦片粥里撒上了糖.
5 more than (a specified time, amount, cost, etc) 多于, 超过（某时间、数量、价钱等）
3 million copies sold 售出300万份以上
* She stayed in Lagos (for) over a month. 她在拉各斯逗留了一个多月.
* She's over two metres tall. 她身高两米多.
* The river is over fifty kilometres long. 这条河长五十多公里.
* He's over fifty. 他五十开外了. Cf 参看under 4. => Usage at above2 用法见above2
6 (indicating control, command, authority, superiority, etc 表示控制、掌握、权威、优越等)
*He ruled over a great empire. 他统治着一个大帝国.
* She has only the director over her. 她的职位之上只有主任了.
* He has little control over his emotions. 他控制不住自己的感情. Cf 参看 under 5, below.
7 (a) (indicating the passing of time 表示时间流逝) while doing, having, eating, etc (sth); during 在...期间
*discuss it over lunch 吃午饭时商议此事
* He went to sleep over his work. 他干着干着活儿就睡着了.
* We had a pleasant chat over a cup of tea. 我们一边喝茶一边愉快地聊天.
* Over the next few days they got to know the town well. 在随後的几天里他们就一定熟悉那个城市了.
(b) throughout (a period); during 贯穿（一时间段）; 在...期间
*stay in Wales over (ie until after) Christmas and the New Year 在威尔士度过圣诞和新年.
8 because of or concerning (sth) 因为, 关于（某事物）:an argument over money 因钱而起的争执
* a disagreement over the best way to proceed 对于用哪种方式进行最好而产生的分歧.
9 transmitted by (sth) 通过（某事物）传送
*We heard it over the radio. 我们从无线电广播中听到了这件事.
* She wouldn't tell me over (ie when speaking on) the phone. 她不愿在电话里告诉我.
10 (idm 习语) ,over and a`bove besides; in addition to 此外; 另外
*The waiters get good tips over and above their wages. 服务员除工资外还有不少小费.
n (in cricket) series of six balls bowled in succession from one end of the wicket by the same bowler （板球中）一个投球手一次连续投出的六个球
*dismiss two batsmen in the same over 在一次连续投球中淘汰两名击球手.