动词过去式:predicted 过去分词:predicted 现在分词:predicting 第三人称单数:predicts 副词:predictably 形容词:predictable 名词:predictability
dict＝to say（说） 变化型 dit
v [Tn, Tf, Tw] say in advance that (sth) will happen; forecast 预言（某事物）将发生; 预报; 预告
*The earthquake had been predicted several months before. 这次地震早在几个月以前就发布了预报.
* She predicted that the improvement would continue. 她预测情况将继续好转.
* It is impossible to predict who will win. 要预测出谁将获胜是不可能的.
1500-1600; Language: Latin;Origin:
, past participle of praedicere 'to say beforehand'
to say that something will happen, before it happens
→prediction Sales were five percent lower than predicted.predict (that) Newspapers predicted that Davis would be re-elected.predict whether/what/how etc It is difficult to predict what the long-term effects of the accident will be. As Liz had predicted , the rumours were soon forgotten.be predicted to do sth Unemployment is predicted to increase to 700,000 by the end of the year.
1. But it warned that, given the likely strong seasonal variation in attendance, it was not possible to predict future attendance or profits. 但公司也提醒说，考虑到游客量可能有相当大的季节性变化，所以无法对今后的游客量和收益做出预测。
2. It is even more remarkable that as long ago as the 1960s, an Englishman, Leon Bagrit, was able to predict some of the uses of computers which we know today. 就更觉得英国人莱昂.巴格瑞特有着非凡的能力。他在60年代就能预言我们今天知道的计算机的一些用途。
3. The computer will still be unable to predict whether Princeton, New Jersey, will have sun or rain on a day one month away. 计算机无法推断出1个月以后的某一天，新泽西州的普林斯顿究竟是晴天还是雨天。
4. He could predict their performance from the strength of the brain's electrical activity measured through the head. 通过所测量到的他们头部脑电波活动的强度，他能够预测他们的成绩。
5. Although scientists still cannot predict earthquakes, they are learning a great deal about how the large plates in the earth's crust move, the stresses between plates, how earthquakes work, and the general probability that a given place will have an 尽管科学家们仍无法预测地震，但对地壳中的大板块如何移动，板块间的压力如何，地震如何发生，某地区发生地震的一般概率为多少，他们正了解得越来越多。
6. Someday soon it may actually become possible to predict earthquakes with accuracy. 在不久的将来，精确预测地震将成为可能。