1 (a) [U] pattern produced by emphasis and duration of notes in music or by stressed and unstressed syllables in words （音乐或词语的）节奏.
(b) [C] instance of this 节奏
*play the same tune in/with a different rhythm 用不同节奏演奏同一个曲子
* Latin-American rhythms 拉丁美洲的音乐节奏.
(c) [U, C] movement with a regular succession of strong and weak elements 节律
*the rhythm of her heart/pulse beating 她的心跳[脉搏]的节律.
2 [U] (infml 口) ability to move, dance, etc in time with a fixed beat 节奏感
*a natural sense of rhythm 天生的节奏感.
3 [U, C] (fig 比喻) constantly recurring sequence of events or processes （事件或过程）有规律的反复出现
*the rhythm of the tides, seasons 潮汐的涨落、四季的循环
* biological rhythms, eg of the human body 生物节律（如人体的）.
n [U and C]
1500-1600; Language: Latin;Origin:
rhythmus, from Greek
, from rhein 'to flow'
a regular repeated pattern of sounds or movements
→metre Drums are basic to African rhythm. complicated dance rhythmsrhythm of She started moving to the rhythm of the music. the steady rhythm of her heartbeat
a regular pattern of changes the body's natural rhythmsrhythm of Jim liked the rhythm of agricultural life.
1. The train cuts through infinite territory, most of it flat and boring, and it seems to me that the ceaseless rhythm of the wheels is like scissors cutting a three-thousand-mile rip through my life. 列车飞快地穿过茫茫无际的大地——大部分土地平坦，但令人感到厌烦。对我来说，车轮不间断地发出的有节奏的声音就象一把剪刀，咔嚓咔嚓地在我的生命长河中剪出了一条长达 3.000 英里的口子。
2. And I described their violet- colored silk skirts, white blouses, and gold-colored hats like small crowns, with flexible points that moved in rhythm with the dance. 我向他描述她们身着紫罗兰色丝裙，白色外套，头戴形似小皇冠的金色帽子，帽上的饰物随着舞蹈节奏有弹性地跳动着。
3. "Why do you have to listen to such horrible stuff? It's the same thing over and over. I'm not sure it is really music though it does have rhythm. "你为什么一定要听这么糟糕的音乐？一样的东西，听了一遍又一遍。虽然有节奏，可恐怕不是真正的音乐。
4. Rays from the sun excite and energize the atmosphere of the earth, awakening it to flow, to movement, to rhythm, to life. 太阳光刺激了地球的大气层，并给予它能量；阳光使空气开始流动，产生节奏，获得生命。
5. Reading is only a partial solution, for the monotonous rhythm of the wheels clicking on the rails soon lulls you to sleep. 看书只能解决部分问题。车轮与铁轨间单调的嘎喳声很快就会送你进入梦乡。
6. I hate this dull rhythm. 我不喜欢这单调的节奏。