1 [C] way or place in which sth is fixed or fastened 镶嵌; 镶嵌底座
*The ring has a ruby in a silver setting. 这枚戒指的银底座上镶着一块红宝石.
(a) surroundings; environment 环境
*The castle stands in a picturesque setting surrounded by hills. 这座城堡四周环山, 风景如画.
(b) place and time at which an event occurs or a play, novel, etc is set （某事、戏剧、小说等的）背景
*The setting of the story is a hotel in Paris during the war. 故事发生在战时巴黎的一家旅馆里.
* a gruesome setting for the murder 那谋杀案令人毛骨悚然的背景.
3 [C] speed, height, temperature, etc at which a device, machine, etc is or can be set to operate 装置、机器等（可调）定的速度、高度、温度等; 挡
*The cooker has several temperature settings. 这个炉具有几个温度定位挡.
4 [C] music composed for a poem, etc （为诗等谱写的）乐曲
*Schubert's setting of a poem by Goethe 舒伯特为歌德的诗谱写的乐曲.
5 [sing] descent (of the sun, moon, etc) below the horizon （日、月等的）落（在地平线以下）.
the place where something is or where something happens, and the general environmentbeautiful/perfect/magnificent/idyllic setting an old farmhouse in a beautiful settingsetting for Cyprus is the perfect setting for a beach holiday. I've worked with children in various settings, mainly in secondary school.
the place or time where the events in a book, film etc happensetting for Verona is best known as the setting for two of Shakespeare's plays. The island was used by Dickens as the setting for Oliver Twist.
the position in which you put the controls on a machine or instrument The heating system was already on its highest setting .
the metal that holds a stone in a piece of jewellery, or the way the stone is fixedin a ... setting a diamond ring in a gold setting
music that is written to go with a poem, prayer etcthe setting of the sunliterary
the time when the sun goes down
1. They proposed setting up a work study school in the brigade. 他们建议在大队成立一个半工半读学校。
2. The former method simply consists of setting an elephant to work and beating him until he does what is expected of him. 强硬法就是驱象去干活，把它打顺从为止。
3. The ancient Egyptians compared the rising of the sun to the beginning of life and the setting of the sun to the end of life. 这是因为古代埃及人把日出比作生命的开始，把日落比作生命的结束。
4. The setting was rather heavy for the warm climate. 这样高的温度，室内的陈设显得太沉重。
5. The contradiction as a result may be that these children, conversely, will push further, unconsciously hoping that, if they push too hard, they will force their parents into setting limitations. 这种矛盾的结果可能是这些孩子会反过来提出更高的要求，并下意识地希望：如果他们逼得凶些，他们就能迫使他们的父母亲建立起教育子女的规范。
6. ----if you put all of your money into Periwigs International, you´re setting yourself up as a hostage to fortune. 如果你把所有资金投入佩里威格斯国际公司，你就把自己当成了命运的人质。
7. You can do the same by setting aside time each day to dream with passion about what you want to achieve. 我们也可以这样做，每天留出时间来带着激情想像一番自己想要获得的成就。
8. Since then, every society has had to figure out what to do with its waste — something that is usually unhealthy, smelly, and ugly — throwing garbage in the streets, piling it up just outside of town, building it into structures or simply setting it o 此后，每个社会都要想办法解决垃圾问题——处理那些通常是有害的、难闻的、难看的东西——要么把垃圾扔到街上，要么堆在城外，要么掺在建筑结构里，要么干脆付之一炬。
9. So they are often tempted to finish a job before setting out to keep an appointment. 因此他们常想做完一件事后再去赴约。
10. Our teacher is setting us an exam. 老师正给我们布置考试。