形容词比较级:severer 最高级:severest 名词:severeness 副词:severely
adj (-r, -st)
1 ~ (on/with sb/sth) strict or harsh in attitude or treatment; imposing stern discipline 严格的; 严厉的; 苛刻的; 纪律严明的
*a severe look, punishment, measure 严厉的样子、惩罚、措施
* a severe critic of modern drama 严厉批评现代戏剧的评论家
* be severe with one's children 对子女很严
* Was the judge too severe on the thief? 这个法官对小偷是不是太严厉了?
2 very bad, intense, difficult, etc 非常恶劣、紧张、困难等
*a severe storm 猛烈的风暴
* severe pain, injuries, etc 剧痛、重伤
* a severe attack of toothache 牙齿的剧痛
* The drought is becoming increasingly severe. 旱灾日趋严重.
3 demanding great skill, ability, patience, etc （对技巧、能力、耐心等）要求很高的
*a severe test of climbers' stamina 对攀登者耐力的严峻考验
* severe competition for university places 考大学的激烈竞争
* The pace of the race was too severe to be maintained for long. 比赛的速度极快, 很难持久.
4 (of style, appearance, clothing, etc) unadorned; simple （指风格、外貌、衣物等）无装饰的, 简单的, 朴素的
*Her plain black dress was too severe for such a cheerful occasion. 她穿着黑色连衣裙, 在这种欢乐的场合未免太素了.
1500-1600; Language: French;Origin:
sévère, from Latin
severe problems, injuries, illnesses etc are very bad or very serious His injuries were quite severe. She's suffering from severe depression. The US faces severe economic problems. The storm caused severe damage.【WEATHER】
severe weather is very bad and very extreme, and very hot, dry, cold etc【PUNISHMENT】
a severe punishment is very strict or extreme Drug smugglers can expect severe penalties.【CRITICISM】
severe criticism is very extreme and shows that you think someone has done something very badly The president came under severe criticism for his handling of the crisis.【DIFFICULT】
very difficult and needing a lot of effort and skill The negotiations will be a severe test of his abilities.【PERSON】
someone who is severe behaves in a way that does not seem friendly or sympathetic, and is very strict or disapproving
= stern His slightly severe expression softened.【PLAIN】
very plain with little or no decoration a rather severe red-brick building>severity
1. Was the judge too severe on the thief? 这个法官对小偷是不是太严厉了?
2. While discount rose retailers watch their business bloom, U.S. rose growers are going bankrupt amid severe foreign competition. 在折价玫瑰花零售店生意兴隆的同时，美国的玫瑰种植商却在残酷的外来竞争中濒临破产。
3. These clouds are ominous. They portend a severe storm. 这些云是不祥的预兆, 预示着一场大风暴即将来临。
4. He needed someone whose face represented suffering yet strength, someone more severe than beautiful. 他需要这样的一个女人：脸带沧桑却不失坚定，严肃之色多于艳丽。
5. A severe murrain prevailed in this village. 这个村庄里流行着一种严重的瘟疫。
6. Recently I had a patient who suffered a severe stroke. 最近，我有一个病人严重中风。
7. If it were severe, they all fell. 如果地震剧烈，所有的木棒都会例下。
8. I am especially proud of it, not only because it has survived several severe winters, but because it occasionally produces luscious peaches. 我为这棵树感到特别自豪，不仅因为它度过了几个寒冬终于活了下来，而且还因为它有时结出些甘甜的桃子来。
9. For decades, the government sought to colonize and develop the Amazon, bringing severe environmental disaster to the area and its people. 几十年来，巴西政府一直在致力于开拓和开发亚马逊雨林，给这个地区及其居民带来了严重的环境灾难。