1 [U] activity or occupation of writing (esp books) 写; 书写; 写作; 写作的职业
*She doesn't earn much from her writing. 她写作得到的收入不多.
* Writing is a solitary pastime. 写作是独自一人的消遣.
* [attrib 作定语] writing materials, eg pens, paper, ink 书写用具（如钢笔、纸、墨水）.
2 [U] written or printed words 书写的或印刷的文字
*There is some writing on the other side of the page. 这一页的反面有些字.
* The writing on the stone was very faint. 这块石头上的字迹很模糊.
3 [U] style of written material 文风
*He is admired for the elegance of his writing. 他文风高雅令人钦佩.
4 [U] way in which a person forms letters when writing; handwriting （个人的）字迹; 笔迹
*I can never read your writing. 我怎么也看不明白你的笔迹.5 writings [pl] works of an author or on a subject 某作家的著作; 某专题的著作
*the writings of Dickens 狄更斯的作品
* It is frequently mentioned in the poetic writings of the period. 在那个时期的诗作中经常提到这一点.6 (idm 习语) in `writing in written form, esp in a document or contract 以书面形式（尤指文件或合同的）
*You must get his agreement in writing. 你必须得到他书面的同意. the ,writing (is) on the `wall (there are) clear signs that warn of failure, disaster or defeat （有）失败、灾祸或覆灭的清楚的徵兆
*The writing is on the wall for the local football club
*bankruptcy seems certain. 这个本地足球俱乐部厄难临头
words that have been written or printed What does the writing on the back say? a T-shirt with Japanese writing on it
books, poems, articles etc, especially those by a particular writer or about a particular subject Some of his most powerful writing is based on his childhood experiences.
the activity of writing books, stories etc In 1991 she retired from politics and took up writing as a career. a short story that stands out as a brilliant piece of writing a class in creative writing (=a subject studied at school or college, where you write your own stories, poems etc)travel/feminist/scientific etc writing
the particular way that someone writes with a pen or pencil
= handwriting Your writing is very neat.
the skill of writing At this age we concentrate on the children's reading and writing skills.in writing
if you get something in writing, it is official proof of an agreement, promise etc Could you put that in writing , please?writings [plural]
the books, stories etc that an important writer has written Darwin's scientific writingsthe writing is on the wallalsosee/read the writing on the wall
used to say that it seems very likely that something will not exist much longer or someone will failthe writing is on the wall for The writing is on the wall for old manufacturing industries.
1. Each evening Humboldt and Bonpland made up their journals, writing sometimes for two hours by the light of the fires. 每天晚上，洪堡和庞普朗都记日志，有时就着篝火的光亮要写上两个小时。
2. But I learned to write, at first by writing to everybody I could think of. 但我学会了写作。我先是给我能够想起的所有人写信，
3. C.You think about canceling your insurance and writing a letter of complaint to the Better Business Bureau (局). c.你考虑取消你的保险，并写一封投诉信到"服务质量局"。
4. Writing a cheque is quite a simple procedure. 开张支票是个十分简单的手续.
5. With the invention of writing, a great advance was made, for knowledge could then be not only communicated but also stored. 随着书写的发明，又迈进了一大步，因为这样一来，知识不仅能交流，而且能储存了。
6. When the lesson in grammar was over we began our writing. 文法讲完了就开始习字。
7. When he finishes, the entire reading, writing, and math patterns he needs to know are impressed right on his brain. 离开时，他所需要掌握的全部读、写和数学模式都直接印入了他的大脑。
8. The writing on the parchment had faded until it was almost illegible. 羊皮纸上的字迹已褪色，到了差不多让人认不清的地步。
9. They had a definite meaning, for they were as near as early man could get to writing. 它们有着一定的含义，因为它们已接近古代人的文字形式。
10. The author has put fire and passion into her writing. 作者在作品里融进了火一样的热情。