1 (a) [U] ~ (to sb) (for sth) formal request 申请; 请求
*Keys are available on application to the principal. 向校长申请就可得到钥匙.
(b) [C] instance of this 申请; 请求
400 applications for the job. 对这份工作, 我们接到400人的申请.
* [attrib 作定语] an application form, ie a form on which to make an application 申请表.
2 (a) [U, C] ~ (of sth) (to sth) act of applying one thing to another 敷用; 施用
*lotion for external application only, ie to be put on the skin, not swallowed 只限外用的敷剂（用于皮肤, 不可内服）
* three applications per day 每日敷用三次.
(b) [C] substance applied 敷用的物质
*an application to relieve muscle pain 减轻肌肉疼痛的敷剂.
3 [U] making a rule, etc take effect （使规则等）生效; 实施
*the strict application of the law 严明执法.
4 [U] concentrated effort; hard work 专心; 努力
*Success as a writer demands great application. 要成为作家就得狠下功夫.
5 [U, C] ~ (to sth) act of putting a theory, discovery, etc to practical use 应用; 运用
*a new invention that will have application/ a variety of applications in industry 工业上可应用的[有多种用途的]新发明.
[Date: 1400-1500; Language: Latin;Origin: applicatio, from applicare; APPLY]
【WRITTEN REQUEST】 [U and C]
a formal, usually written, request for something such as a job, place at university, or permission to do something
an application for a grant
The university welcomes applications from overseas students.
We receive hundreds of job applications each year.
I filled in the application form and sent it off.
You have to submit your application before the end of the month.
I've put in an application for a transfer.
He received a letter saying that his application had been rejected .
It can take a long time for your visa application to be processed .
The Council is currently reviewing the way it deals with planning applications .
Thank you for your letter of application , which we received yesterday.
【PRACTICAL USE】 [U and C]
practical purpose for which a machine, idea etc can be used, or a situation when this is used
the applications of genetic engineering in agriculture
The research has many practical applications .
a piece of computer software which does a particular job
We received training on a number of spreadsheet and database applications.
【PAINT/LIQUID】 [U and C]
when you put something such as paint, liquid, medicine etc onto a surface
The application of fertilizer increased the size of the plants.
attention or effort over a long period of time
Making your new business successful requires luck, patience, and application.
COLLOCATES for sense 1
fill in/out an application
make/put in/submit an application
accept somebody's application
reject somebody's application
process an application (=deal with it)
planning application (=a request for permission to build something)
letter of application
释义:Means "brave" in Armenian.
1. The deadline for making an application is next Friday. 申请期限截止于下星期五。
2. And application takes judgment, which involves something of a sixth sense — a high performance of the mind. 而知识的应用需要判断力，判断力涉及某种第六感觉——是思维的高度运用。
3. One day, while filling out an application form for a publishing job, the young woman impulsively substituted her middle name, Lynne, for her first name Debbie. 一天，在填写出版工作申请表时，这位小姐一时冲动,用她的中名林恩替换了她的名字黛比。
4. I suppose my application has been lost by some incompetent bureaucrat. 我估计我的申请书不知道让哪个无能的官僚给弄丢了.
5. I called the Psychic Readers Network, which immediately mailed me an application. 我给通灵大师热线打电话，他们马上寄了一份申请表给我。