1 (a) using up of food, energy, resources, etc （食物、能量、资源等的）消耗
*The meat was declared unfit for human consumption. 这种肉已宣布不适宜人们食用.
* conspicuous consumption which is an affront to people on low incomes 使低收入者感到自惭形秽的那种铺张.
(b) quantity used 消耗量
*We have measured the car's fuel consumption. 我们测量了这辆汽车的汽油消耗量.
2 (dated 旧) tuberculosis of the lungs 肺痨; 肺结核.
1【amount used】2【food/drink】3【buying】4 for general/public/private etc consumption5
1300-1400; Language: Latin;Origin:
consumptio, from consumere; CONSUME
the amount of energy, oil, electricity etc that is used
→consumeenergy/fuel etc consumption dramatic rises in fuel consumption Vigorous exercise increases oxygen consumption.【FOOD/DRINK】a)formal
the act of eating or drinking
→consumeconsumption of The consumption of alcohol on the premises is forbidden.fit/unfit for human consumption
(=safe or not safe to eat) The meat was declared unfit for human consumption.b)
the amount of a substance that people eat, drink, smoke etcalcohol/tobacco/caffeine etc consumption The Government wants to reduce tobacco consumption by 40%.【BUYING】
the act of buying and using products
, consumer consumer art intended for mass consumption (=to be bought, seen etc by lots of people) China's austerity program has cut domestic consumption (=when products are bought in the country where they were produced) .conspicuous consumption
(=when people buy expensive products to prove they are rich) for general/public/private etc consumption
intended to be heard or read only by a particular group of people secret policy documents that are not for public consumptionold-fashionedtuberculosis
1. Eletricity must be generated by the consumption of coal or oil 发电需要消耗煤或石油.
2. The food is for our consumption on the trip. 这些食物是供我们旅行用的。
3. Americans tend to become trapped in a working and spending consumption mode, driven by merchants, that leads them to rack up their expectations. 美国人往往会陷入一种由商人们所鼓吹的工作-花钱消费的模式之中，这种模式引诱他们抬高了自己的期望值。
4. Yes, the earth's resources are not infinite; natural areas are being destroyed; the number of plant and animal species is declining; consumption of resources is expanding. 是的，地球的资源不是无限的，自然界在遭受破坏，动植物的物种数目在减少，而资源的消耗却在增加。