动词过去式:barreled/barrelled 过去分词:barreled/barrelled 现在分词:barreling/barrelling 第三人称单数:barrels/barrels
1 (a) large round container with flat ends and bulging in the middle, made of wood, metal or plastic 桶; 琵琶桶. =>illus 见插图.
(b) amount that a barrel contains 一桶的量.
2 long metal tube forming part of sth, esp a gun or a pen （物体某部的）金属管（尤指枪管或笔管）. =>illus at gun 见gun之插图.
3 (idm 习语) lock, stock and barrel => lock2. (get/have sb) over a barrel (infml 口) (have sb) at one's mercy; in a helpless position （使某人）听从摆布; 束手无策. scrape the barrel => scrape1.
v (-ll-; US -l-) [Tn] put (sth) in a barrel or barrels 将（某物）装入桶中.
1. What is the volume of this barrel. 这个桶的容积是多少?
2. They sent me a barrel of beer. 他们送我一（大）桶啤酒。
3. Humboldt, impatient to discover where the electricity had disappeared to, put his hand into the barrel. 洪堡因为急于要查明电流的去向，便将手伸进了桶内。
4. And while the steamer worked and sweated in the sun, the retired artist sat on a barrel in the shade close by, eating his apple. 于是当轮船在烈日下干活流汗时，退休艺术家坐在旁边树荫下的木桶上吃着苹果。
5. Some eels were put in a barrel of water. 一些电鳗被放到了一桶水里。
6. My shoulder hurt wickedly each time I put another full barrel on it, and my legs occasionally trembled as I was heading to the street. But the rest of me said, "Go, trashman, go." 每次我将满满的一桶垃圾扛上肩，肩膀就痛得厉害，有时侯扛着垃圾朝街上走，腿都打颤，可我心里却对自己说：“挺住，垃圾工，要挺住啊。”
7. Insulted, I throw my lunch into the trash barrel and let Sam lead me to the swings. 我觉得受了侮辱，于是把午饭扔进垃圾桶里，随山姆来到了秋千旁。