n.混合物,化合物 adj.复合的 v.混合,配合
名词:compounder 动词过去式:compounded 过去分词:compounded 现在分词:compounding 第三人称单数:compounds 形容词:compoundable
1 (a) thing made up of two or more separate things combined together 复合物.
(b) substance consisting of two or more elements chemically combined 化合物
*Common salt is a compound of sodium and chlorine. 食盐是钠和氯的化合物. Cf 参看 element 3, mixture 3.
2 (grammar) noun, adjective, etc composed of two or more words or parts of words (written as one or more words, or joined by a hyphen) 复合词
*`Bus conductor', `dark-haired' and `policeman' are compounds. bus conductor dark-haired policeman都是复合词. > compound adj [attrib 作定语]
*an insect's compound eye 昆虫的复眼
* compound nouns, adjectives, etc 复合名词、复合形容词.
1 (a) [Tn] mix (sth) together 将（某物）混合, 搀合
*the vat in which the chemicals are compounded 混合化学药品用的大桶.
(b) [usu passive 通常用于被动语态
*Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (of/from sth) make sth by mixing （用混合方法）制造（某物）
*a medicine compounded of (ie made of) herbs 用草药混合制成的药
* (fig 比喻) Her character was compounded in equal parts of meanness and generosity. 她的为人慷慨吝啬参半.
2 [Tn] make (sth bad) worse by causing further harm （因进一步伤害）使（坏事）更坏
*Initial planning errors were compounded by carelessness in carrying the plan out. 计划原来就有错误, 再加上执行中的粗心大意就更糟了.
3 [I, Ipr, Tn] ~ (with sb) (for sth) (commerce 商) reach an agreement (about sth); settle (a debt, etc) （就某事）达成协议; 和解妥协; 了结（债务等）
*He compounded with his creditors for a postponement of payment. 他与债权人达成协议延期付款.
4 [Tn] (law 律) agree not to reveal (a crime), thus seeming not to disapprove of it 同意不揭发（罪行）（似并不反对该行为）; 私了
*guilty of compounding a felony 对重罪案件私了罪.
(a) area enclosed by buildings, esp in a military camp or a prison camp 有建筑物围绕的场地（尤指军营、监狱中的）.
(b) (in India, China, etc) area enclosed by a fence, etc, in which a house or factory stands （在印度、中国等）用围墙等圈起来的场地（内有房屋或工厂）; 院子.
1. Sugar is a compound. 糖是一种化合物.
2. Stalin proposed that Roosevelt move into a separate building in the heavily guarded Soviet Compound, where the meetings could be held in safety. 斯大林建议罗斯福住到戒备森严的苏联大使馆内的一栋楼内，在那里能够很安全地召开会议。
3. Offering a more scientific interpretation, Brian Newman, a British surgeon who has studied Imedeen, explains that the compound has a specific action as food is digested, 一位研究过"伊美婷"的英国外科医生布赖恩·纽曼提出了一个更为科学的解释。他说随着食物的消化这种复合物会起一种特别的作用，
4. The growth of knowledge followed a kind of compound interest law, 因为知识的增长遵循着一种"滚雪球"的规律。
5. Instead, it's important to check levels of a different compound, which indicates the amount of storage of iron in the blood. 其实，有必要检查血液中另一种混合成分的含量，它显示了血液中铁离子的储量。