1 ~ (of sb/sth) looking for faults; pointing out faults 找出毛病的; 指出缺点的; 批评的; 非难的
*a critical remark, report, etc 批评性的议论、报道等
* The inquiry was critical of her work. 该项调查对她的工作提出了批评.
* (derog 贬) Why are you always so critical? 你怎么老是这样吹毛求疵?
* (approv 褒) Try to develop a more critical attitude, instead of accepting everything at face value. 要学会对一切事物一丝不苟, 而不要注重表面现象.
2 [attrib 作定语] of the art of making judgements on literature, art, etc （文学、艺术等）评论手法的
*In the current critical climate her work is not popular. 在当前的评论风气的影响下, 她的作品不怎么受欢迎.
* The film has received critical acclaim, ie praise from the critics. 影片得到了评论界的赞誉.
3 of or at a crisis; decisive; crucial 危机中的; 危急时刻的; 决定性的; 关键的
*We are at a critical time in our history. 我们正处于历史的紧要关头.
* The patient's condition is critical, ie He is very ill and may die. 病人情况危殆.
* Her help was critical (ie of great importance) during the emergency. 在紧急的情况下她的援助至为重要.
4 (idm 习语) go `critical (of a nuclear reactor) reach a state where a nuclear reaction sustains itself （指核反应堆）达到临界状态.
1【criticizing】2【important】3【serious/worrying】4【ill】5 the critical list6【making judgments】7【art/literature】
if you are critical, you criticize someone or somethingcritical of Many economists are critical of the government's economic policies. Many parents are strongly critical of the school. He made some highly critical remarks.【IMPORTANT】
something that is critical is very important because what happens in the future depends on it
= crucialcritical to These talks are critical to the future of the peace process. It is absolutely critical for us to know the truth. Foreign trade is of critical importance to the economy.【SERIOUS/WORRYING】
a critical time or situation is serious and worrying because things might suddenly become much worse The fighting has stopped, but the situation is still critical. changes that took place during the critical period at the end of the war【ILL】
so ill that you might die He is still in a critical condition in hospital. She is in intensive care, where she remains critical but stable.the critical lista)
the list of patients in a hospital who are so ill that they might dieon the critical list Two of the victims were still on the critical list Sunday night.take sb off the critical list He was taken off the critical list and is now in a stable condition.b)
if a system, plan, company etc is on the critical list, it is having severe problems and might fail soon【MAKING JUDGMENTS】
making careful judgments about how good or bad something is His book provides a critical analysis of the television industry in Britain. She looked round the room with a critical eye .【ART/LITERATURE】
according to critics who give judgments about art, films, theatre, and books The book came out last year to great critical acclaim (=critics said it was very good) . Her first play was a critical success (=critics said it was good) .
1. The inquiry was critical of her work. 该项调查对她的工作提出了批评.
2. And at the most critical juncture we took turns in watching that point. 在最紧急的时刻，我们轮流监视那段河流的险情。
3. At the most critical juncture we took turns in watching that point. 在最为紧急的时刻，我们轮流监视着那个地方。
4. According to WHO, this international effort has produced two critical developments: first, there is an amazing level of world-wide focus, using world scientists and international sharing of human and economic resources to fight AIDS. 世界卫生组织认为，这种国际努力已经产生了两个重要成果：第一，由于动员了全球的科学家以及动用了各国的人力和财力与艾滋病作斗争，全球对艾滋病的关注达到了惊人的程度。
5. 5. Accept critical thinking and decision making as part of online learning. 网络课程要求学生根据事实和经验作出决定。
6. In man´s early days, competition with other creatures must have been critical. 在人类早期，人类与其他生物的竞争一定是必不可少的。
7. In the virtual classroom nearly all communication is written, so it is critical that students feel comfortable expressing themselves in writing. 虚拟课堂的交流几乎都是书面形式。因而很重要的一点是要让学生感到书面交流并不别扭。
8. It is absolutely necessary for students to assimilate information and make the right decisions based on critical thinking. 在积极的网络环境中，学生从老师、同学那里及他们自己的学习中感受到自己的价值。
9. It added that "the amount of the loss will depend on attendance and hotel use rates achieved during the remaining portion of the critical European summer vacation period". 还说"亏损的程度将取决于关键的欧洲夏季假期里剩余日子所能带来的游客量和宾馆入住率。"