n.挑战 vi.敢,胆敢 vt.敢冒,不惧
名词:darer 动词过去式:dared 过去分词:dared 现在分词:daring 第三人称单数:dares
modal v (neg 否定式 dare not, contracted form 缩约式 daren't/ deEnt; dZrnt/; rare or fml pt 罕用或文学语言用过去式 dared/ deEd; dZrd/, neg 否定式 dared not)
1 (used esp in negative sentences and questions, after if/whether, or with hardly, never, no one, nobody 尤用于否定句及疑问句中, 在if/whether之後, 或与hardly、never、no one、nobody连用) have sufficient courage or impudence (to do sth) 敢; 敢于; 竟敢; 胆敢
*I daren't ask her for a rise. 我不敢要求她加薪.
* What's the matter daren't you read what it says? 怎么了--你难道不敢把上面写的念出来吗?
* I wonder whether he dare stand up in public. 我不知道他敢不敢站在大庭广众面前.
* They hardly dared breathe as somebody walked past the door! 有人在门前走过, 他们几乎不敢呼吸了!
* If you ever dare call me that name again, you'll be sorry. 你胆敢再那样叫我, 你就後悔莫及了.
* Nobody dared lift their eyes from the ground. 没有人敢把视线离开地面.
2 (idm 习语) how `dare you, he, she, etc (used to express indignation at the actions of others 用以表示对他人举动的愤慨)
*How dare you suggest that I copied your notes! 你竟敢认为我抄了你的笔记!
* How dare he take my bicycle without even asking! 他怎么连问都不问就敢把我的自行车骑走了! I dare say I accept (sth) as a true or possible fact 我相信; 可能
*I ,dare say you `are British but you still need a passport to prove it. 我相信你是英国人, 但仍需有护照加以证明.
* `I would imagine he's forgotten.' `I ,dare `say!' ｀我猜想他忘记了.＇｀很可能!＇
1 [Tt] have sufficient courage 敢; 敢于; 竟敢; 胆敢
*I don't know how she dares wear that dress. 我不知道她怎么敢穿那件连衣裙.
* I've never dared go back to look. 我再也不敢回去看一眼了.
* Privatize the national parks? They'd never dare, would they? 把国家公园私营化? 他们绝对不敢, 对吗?
* How did you dare to tell her? 你怎么竟敢告诉她了?
* Don't (you) dare leave the room! （你）敢离开这间屋子!
2 [Tn, Dn.t] suggest to (sb) that he tries to do sth beyond his courage or ability; challenge 激（某人）做某事; 挑战
*Throw it at him! I dare you! 向他投掷! 我谅你也不敢!
* I dare you to tell your mother! 我谅你不敢告诉你母亲!
* Somebody dared me to jump off the bridge into the river. 有人激我敢不敢从桥上跳进河里.
3 [Tn no passive 不用于被动语态] (fml 文) take the risk of having to face (sth) 冒着（某事物）的风险
*He dared his grandfather's displeasure when he left the family business. 他不顾祖父的不悦, 放下了家族的生意.
n (usu sing 通常作单数)
1 challenge to do sth dangerous or difficult 做危险的或困难的事的胆量; 挑战
*`Why did you climb onto the roof?' `It was a dare.' ｀你为什么爬到屋顶上去了?＇｀试试胆量.＇
2 (idm 习语) for a `dare because one has received a challenge 因受到激将
*He only entered the competition for a dare. 他只是因为受人激将才参加竞赛.
1. The tape was so sticky that they did not dare to cross it. 胶带极粘，蚂蚁不敢从上面爬过。
2. How dare you talk to a respectable woman like that? 你怎么可以对一个良家女子说那样的话?
3. How dare you say I´m unfair? 你怎么敢说我不公平？
4. I liked this much better than learning the rules of verbs, but I did not dare to stop, so I ran quickly towards school. 此情此景比学习动词规则有趣多了，可是我不敢逗留，就赶紧朝学校跑去。