名词:dearness 副词:dearly 形容词比较级:dearer 最高级:dearest
adj (-er, -est)
1 ~ (to sb) loved (by sb); greatly valued 亲爱的; 极为珍贵的
*my dear wife 我亲爱的妻子
* his dearest possessions, friends 他最宝贵的所有物、朋友
* My daughter is very dear to me. 我的女儿是我的宝贝.
* He lost everything that was dear to him. 他失去了自己珍爱的一切东西.
2 (used attributively with little and old to show fondness 作定语与little及old连用表示亲昵之意)
*What a dear little child! 多么可爱的孩子!
* Dear old Paul! 亲爱的保罗!
3 (used attributively as a form of address in letters, and politely or ironically in speech 冠于信函中的称谓及用于言语, 以示礼貌或讽刺)
*Dear Sir/Madam 敬启者
* Dear Mr Bond 邦德先生台鉴
* My dear fellow, surely you don't mean that! 亲爱的朋友, 那决不是你的本意吧!
4 [usu pred 通常作表语] (Brit) expensive 昂贵
*Clothes are getting dearer. 衣服越来越贵了.
* dear money, ie money on which a high rate of interest must be paid 须付高利的钱
* That shop is too dear for me, ie Its prices are too high. 对我来说, 这家商店的价格太高了.
5 (idm 习语) close/dear/near to sb's heart => heart. for dear life vigorously or desperately (as if trying to save oneself from death) 拚命地
*run, swim, pull, shout, argue for dear life 拚命地跑、游、拉、喊、争论. hold sb/sth `dear (rhet 修辞) cherish sb/sth; value sb/sth highly 喜爱某人[某事物]; 高度重视某人[某事物]
*I said farewell to those I hold dear. 我向我所喜爱的人们道别.
* the ideals we hold dear 我们极为珍惜的理想. one's nearest and dearest => near1.
1 at a high cost 高价地; 昂贵地
*If you want to make money, buy cheap and sell dear. 要想赚钱就得贱买贵卖.
2 (idm 习语) cost sb dear => cost1.
1 lovable person 可爱的人
*Isn't that baby a dear? 多可爱的婴儿啊!
* Thank you, you are a dear. 谢谢你, 你真是好人.
* Be a dear and (ie Please) give me that book. 做做好事, 把那本书给我吧.
2 (used to address sb one knows very well 用以称呼极熟悉的人)
*Yes, dear, I'll write to mother. 是的, 亲爱的, 我要给妈妈写信.
* Come here, my dear. 上这儿来, 亲爱的.
interj (used in expressions of surprise, impatience, dismay, etc 用以表示惊奇、不耐烦、惊恐等)
*Oh dear! I think I've lost it! 糟糕! 我可能把它给丢了!
* Dear me! What a mess! 天哪! 乱成什么样子了!
1. But I think you understand, my dear Miss Dietrich, that something was wrong from the very beginning. 不过，亲爱的迪特里希小姐， 我想你明白，这事从一开始就搞错了。
2. But there is a problem for people with free time in a tightly packed country where land is dear: 但是在一个人口拥挤，土地昂贵的国家，有了闲暇的人们却遇到了这样一个问题：
3. Wisdom is a good purchase though we pay dear for it . 为了求知识，代价虽高也值得。
4. The reader´s hair stands on end when he reads in the final pages of the novel that the heroine, a dear old lady who had always been so kind to everybody, had, in her youth, poisoned every one of her five husbands. 当读者到小说最后几页了解到书中女主人公，那位一向待大家很好的可爱的老妇人年轻时一连毒死了她的5个丈夫时，不禁会毛骨悚然。
5. The place was dear to us all. 这个地方使我们感到亲切。
6. Together, these young men are a kind of river — one that is out of control, eating at the foundations of things we hold dear: our freedom to move about; the fruits of labor; our own lives and those of people we value. 这些年轻人聚合在一起构成了一条河流--一条已失去控制的河流，这条河流正吞噬着我们所珍视的东西的基础：我们的行动自由；我们的劳动果实；我们的生命，以及那些我们尊敬的人的生命。
7. Do you like it, dear? 你喜欢吗，亲爱的？
8. Almost any day a young porpoise may be seen trying to turn a 300-pound sea turtle over by sticking his snout under the edge of his shell and pushing up for dear life. 几乎每天都可以看到一只小海豚把鼻子顶入一只300磅重的海龟的硬壳下面，拼命地把它翻过来。
9. ´Dear me,´ she said. ´Do you always get up so late? It´s one o´clock!´ "天啊，"她说，"你总是起得这么晚吗？现在已经1点钟了！"
10. ´Oh dear,´ said the conductor suddenly. ´I forgot to put you off.´ "哎呀，"售票员突然说，"我忘了让您下车了。"