1 of great value (and beauty) 贵重的; 宝贵的
*the precious metals, ie gold, silver and platinum 贵金属（金、银、白金）
* precious gems/stones, ie diamonds, rubies, emeralds, etc 宝石（钻石、红宝石、绿宝石等）.
2 ~ (to sb) highly valued; dearly loved 珍贵的; 受到珍爱的
*precious moments together 相处在一起的珍贵时刻
* Each life is precious. 生命都是非常宝贵的.
* a precious memento of happier times 幸福时日的珍贵纪念品
* She is very precious to him. 她在他心中占着非常重要的地位.
* (infml ironic 口, 反语) She talks about nothing except her precious car! 她说话离不开她那宝贝汽车!
3 (derog 贬) (of language, style, etc) over-refined; unnatural （指语言、风格等）过于讲究的, 矫揉造作的
*poetry full of precious images 尽是挖空心思的意象的诗篇
* a rather precious young man 惺惺作态的年轻男子.
4 (infml often ironic 口, 常作反语) considerable 可观的
*A precious lot of good that will do! 那样做大有好处!
adv (used before little, few 用于little、few之前) (infml 口) very 很; 非常
*Precious few people can afford prices like that. 没有什么人出得起那个价钱.
* She has precious little to be cheerful about. 她几乎毫无乐趣.
n (infml 口) (used as an affectionate name when speaking to sb 用作表示亲昵的称呼语) dear 亲爱的
*What did you say, (my) precious? （我）亲爱的, 你说什么呀?
1. For the sunken ship he was trying to find had been carrying a precious cargo of gold bullion. 因为他试图寻找的沉船上载有一批珍贵的金条。
2. Working time is considered precious. 工作时间被认为是宝贵的。
3. We budget it, save it, waste it, steal it, kill it, cut it, account for it; we also charge for it. It is a precious resource. 我们安排时间、节约时间、浪费时间、挤抢时间、消磨时间、缩减时间、对时间的使用作出解释; 我们还要因时间而收取费用。时间是一种宝贵的资源。
4. To their surprise, the precious parcel was full of stones and sand! 使他们惊讶的是：这珍贵的包裹里竟全是石头和沙子！
5. To their surprise, the precious parcel was full of stones and sand! 令他们吃惊的是，那珍贵的包裹里面装的全是石头和沙子！
6. He took away almost every precious thing, including the antique clock left by my father. 他拿走了,他几乎拿走了所有的珍贵东西,包括我父亲留下的古钟.
7. Harry does not need to be prompted to explain how he bought his precious bottle of mud. 毋须暗示哈里就会向你讲起他买下那瓶珍贵香水泥的经过。
8. He was glad to get away with a mere twenty pounds and he beat a hasty retreat, clutching the precious bottle under his arm. 他庆幸自己只破费了20英镑便得以脱身。他把那宝贵的瓶子放在腋下夹着，溜之大吉。
9. A few minutes later, I was able to hurry away with precious chalk-marks on my baggage. 几分钟后,我才能提着带有几个得来不易的粉笔记号的行李匆匆离去.
10. A few minutes later, I was able to hurry away with precious chalk marks on my baggage. 几分钟后，我终于被放行，手提划着宝贵的粉笔记号的行李，匆匆离去。