n.击败,战胜,失败 vt.击败,战胜,使失败,挫折 v.击败
名词:defeater 动词过去式:defeated 过去分词:defeated 现在分词:defeating 第三人称单数:defeats
fact＝to make（做），to do（做，为） 变化型 fect
1 [Tn, Tn.pr] win a victory over (sb); overcome 战胜（某人）; 击败
*The enemy was defeated in a decisive battle. 敌人在一场决定性的战斗中被击败.
* He has been soundly defeated at chess. 他在国际象棋比赛中一败涂地.
2 [Tn] (infml 口) be puzzling for (sb); baffle 使（某人）困惑; 难住
*I've tried to solve the problem, but it defeats me! 这个问题我想解决, 但把我难倒了!
* Why you stay indoors on a beautiful day like this defeats me! 天气这样好你却呆在屋里, 真叫人莫名其妙!
(a) stop (hopes, aims, etc) from becoming reality; thwart 使（希望、目的等）不能实现; 阻挠; 挫败
*By not working hard enough you defeat your own purpose. 你因不太努力, 所以达不到自己的目的.
(b) prevent (an attempt, a proposal, etc) from succeeding 阻挠（一企图、提案等）
*We've defeated moves to build another office block. 我们已否决另建一座办公楼的动议.
(a) [U] defeating or being defeated 击败; 失败
*suffer defeat 遭到失败
* I never consider the possibility of defeat. 我从未考虑有失败的可能性.
(b) [C] instance of this 失败
*six wins and two defeats for the team 该队之六胜二负.
1. We converted defeat into victory. 我们转败为胜。
2. When he asked if Mr. Lane lived there, the policeman on duty told him that since his defeat, the ex-Prime Minister had gone abroad. 当他询问莱恩先生是否住在那里时，值班的警察告诉他这位前首相落选后出国去了。
3. The morale of the football team was very low after its defeat. 比赛失败后，这支足球队的士气非常低落。
4. For once, Harry had to admit defeat.He picked up what seemed to be the smallest bottle and discreetly asked the price. 这一次哈里不得不认输了。他拿起看来是最小的一瓶，谨慎地询问价钱。
5. For once, Harry had to admit defeat. 哈里只好认输。