动词过去式:deserved 过去分词:deserved 现在分词:deserving 第三人称单数:deserves
serv＝to serve（服务）,to keep（保持）
v (not used in the continuous tenses 不用于进行时态)
1 [Tn, Tt] be sth or have done sth for which one should receive (a reward, special treatment, etc); be entitled to; merit 应受（奖赏、特殊待遇等）; 应得; 值得
*The article deserves careful study. 这篇文章值得仔细研究.
* She deserves a reward for her efforts. 她积极努力, 应得到奖赏.
* He richly deserved all that happened to him. 他得到这一切确是受之无愧.
* They deserve to be sent to prison. 他们应该入狱.
* much deserved praise 受之无愧的赞扬.
2 (idm 习语) deserve well/ill of sb (fml 文) be worthy of good/bad treatment by sb 应该受到某人好的[坏的]待遇
*She deserves well of her employers. 她应当受到雇主善待. one good turn deserves another => turn2.
1200-1300; Language: Old French;Origin:Latin
deservire 'to serve very keenly'
, from servire 'to serve'
to have earned something by good or bad actions or behaviour What have I done to deserve this?deserve to do sth We didn't deserve to win.richly/fully/thoroughly etc deserve sth the success he so richly deserves I'm sorry for the kids. They deserve better (=deserve to be treated in a better way) .deserve a rest/break/holiday etc I think we deserve a rest after all that hard work. Ledley deserves a place in the team. Paula deserves a special mention for all the help she has given us. I would never hit anyone, even if they deserved it. What has he done to deserve this punishment ?deserve all/everything you get
(=deserve any bad things that happen to you) He deserves all he gets for being so dishonest. People who are sent to prison for drunk-driving get what they deserve .deserve consideration/attention etc
if a suggestion, idea, or plan deserves consideration, attention etc, it is good enough to be considered, paid attention to etc
= merit This proposal deserves serious consideration.sb deserves a medalspoken
used to say that you admire the way someone dealt with a situation or problemsomebody deserves a medal for You deserve a medal for putting up with Ian's constant demands.
1. "I am glad, my dear, to know that you have finally overcome your dislike for him; truly he did not deserve it." "我真高兴，亲爱的，你终于不再讨厌他了。说真的，他不应该使你觉得讨厌。"
2. Vera´s composition is good, but it doesn´s deserve the lavish praise that Linda gave it. 综合症拉的作文不错，但却不值得琳达过度的称赞。
3. I hardly deserve the praises that were bestowed upon me. 这样的夸赞我受之有愧。