动词过去式:dusted 过去分词:dusted 现在分词:dusting 第三人称单数:dusts
1 fine dry powder consisting of particles of earth, dirt, etc 灰尘; 尘土; 尘埃
*a speck of dust 一点灰尘
* The old furniture was covered in dust. 旧家具上有尘土.
* clouds of dust blowing in the wind 风吹起的尘雾
* gold, chalk, etc dust, ie fine particles of gold, chalk, etc 金粉、粉笔灰
* [attrib 作定语] A dust-cloud (ie A whirlwind carrying clouds of dust) swept across the plain. 旋风卷着漫天尘土横扫平原.
2 (rhet 修辞) remains of a dead person 遗骸.
3 (idm 习语) bite the dust => bite1. dry as dust => dry1. kick up/raise a `dust (infml 口) make a fuss 引起骚乱. shake the dust off one's feet => shake1. throw dust in sb's eyes prevent sb from seeing the truth by misleading him 蒙蔽某人, 使其不明真相. when the dust has settled when the present uncertainty, unpleasantness, etc is over 烟消云散; 疑云散尽; 愁云散尽.
1 (a) [Tn] remove dust from (sth) by wiping, brushing or flicking 将尘土从（某物）上抹去、刷去或拂去
*dust the furniture, books, living-room 拭去家具上的、书上的、客厅里的灰尘.
(b) [Tn.p] ~ sb down/off remove dust from sb by brushing or flicking 将尘土从某人身上刷去或拂去
*Dust yourself down you're covered in chalk. 把你自己身上掸掸--上面都是粉笔末.
2 (phr v) dust sth off begin to practise sth, esp a skill or a language that one knows but has not used for some time 开始复习某事（尤指一段时间内搁置不用的技艺或语言）
*I'll have to dust off my French if we're going to move to Paris. 我们要是搬到巴黎去, 我就得把法语重新拾起来. dust sth onto, over, etc sth sprinkle (sth powdery) over sth 将（粉状物）撒在某物表面
*dust sugar onto a cake 将糖粉撒在蛋糕上. dust sth with sth sprinkle sth with (sth powdery) 以（粉状物）撒在某物上
*dust a cake with icing sugar 将糖霜撒在蛋糕上.
1. Even these hard parts may crumble to dust. 甚至这些坚硬的部分也会破碎成粉末。
2. Errors and uncertainties multiply, cascading upward through a chain of turbulent features, from dust devils and squalls up to continent-size eddies that only satellites can see. 错误和不可靠性上升，接踵而来的是一系列湍流的徵状，从小尘暴和暴风发展到只有卫星上可以看到的席卷整块大陆的旋涡。
3. Even a telescope in orbit round the earth, like the very successful Hubble telescope, would not be suitable because of the dust particles in our solar system. 即使是一台放置在围绕地球的轨道上的望远镜--如非常成功的哈勃望远镜--也因为太阳系中的尘埃微粒而无法胜任。
4. The old furniture was covered in dust. 旧家具上有尘土.
5. The more expensive kind of antique shop where rare objects are beautifully displayed in glass cases to keep them free from dust is usually a forbidding place. 高档一点的古玩店为了防尘，把文物漂亮地陈列在玻璃柜子里，那里往往令人望而却步。
6. The Earth was formed about five billion years ago from a rotating, circular cloud of dust and gases such as hydrogen and nitrogen. 地球的形成约在50亿年前，起源于一团循环旋转的尘埃和诸如氢、氧之类的气体。
7. Dust the dressing table. 掸掉梳妆台上的灰尘。
8. All air in Billion City would be passed through a cleaning system to remove dust particles, pollen, noxious gases and other pollutants. 十亿人口城市中所有的空气都通过净化系统来消除灰尘、花粉、有害气体及其它污染物。
9. Soapy picked himself up and beat the dust from his clothes. 苏比从地上爬起来，拍了拍身上的土。
10. Pollution from smoke and dust vitiates the air . 烟尘的污染使空气污浊。