动词过去式:expensed 过去分词:expensed 现在分词:expensing 第三人称单数:expenses
pend,pens＝to hang（悬挂）,to weigh（衡量）
1 (a) [U] spending of money etc; cost 花费; 代价
*an expense of time, energy and cash 时间、精力、现金的花费
* He hired a plane, regardless of expense. 他不惜代价, 租了一架飞机.
* Most children in Britain are educated at public expense. 英国大多数儿童靠公费受教育.
(b) [C] cause of spending 花费的原因
*An annual holiday is a big expense. 一年一度的假日是一笔大开销.
* Running a car is a great expense. 一辆汽车的经常开支很大.
2 expenses [pl] money spent in doing a specific job, or for a specific purpose （做某工作或为某目的）花费的钱
*travelling expenses 旅费
* House repairs, holidays and other expenses reduced her bank balance to almost nothing. 修房、度假和其他开销使她在银行的存款所剩无几.
* Who's meeting the expenses of your trip? 谁为你支付旅费呢?
3 (idm 习语) at sb's expense
(a) with sb paying 由某人付费
*We were entertained at the editor's expense. 由编辑付钱招待我们.
(b) at sb who has behaved foolishly, been tricked, etc 针对某人（因其举动愚蠢或受到捉弄等）
*They had a good laugh (ie were very amused) at Sam's expense. 他们嘲弄萨姆而乐不可支. at great, little, no, etc ex`pense (to sb/oneself) with a lot of, little, no, etc money being spent (by sb/oneself) （某人[自己]）花费很大、花费很小、无花费等
*We can redecorate the room at little expense, if we use this old paint. 我们要是用这种旧漆重新装饰这房间, 就不用花多少钱了. at the expense of sth with loss or damage to sth 在损失或损坏某事物的情况下
*He built up a successful business but it was all done at the expense of his health. 他创建的企业很成功, 但这一切却损害了他的健康. (all) expenses `paid with an employer, etc paying for everything （由雇主等）已付费用的
*[attrib 作定语] She's just returned from an all-expenses-paid trip to France. 她刚由法国回来, 旅途一切费用由雇主支付. go to/put sb to the expense of sth/doing sth spend/cause sb to spend money on sth 在某事物上花钱或使某人花钱
*It's stupid to go to the expense of taking music lessons if you never practise. 花钱上音乐课而从不练习是很愚蠢的.
* put sb to a lot of expense 使某人破费极大. no expense(s) `spared with no regard for the cost 不惜费用
*I'm going to take you out to dinner, no expense spared. 我带你出去用餐, 花费多少都无所谓. spare no expense => spare.
[U and C]
the amount of money that you spend on something
legal/medical/living/travel etc expenses
(=the money that you spend for a particular purpose)
He borrowed £150,000 and used the money for legal expenses.
at great/considerable/vast expense
Conference rooms were equipped at great expense.
The council must now decide whether to go to the expense of appealing through the courts.
Julie's parents had spared no expense for her wedding (=they spent all the money necessary to buy the best things) .
Everything has been provided tonight - no expense spared .
money that you spend on things such as travel and food while you are doing your job, and which your employer then pays to you
Can you claim this meal on expenses?
at the expense of sb/sth
if something is done at the expense of someone or something else, it is only achieved by doing something that could harm the other person or thing
the growth in short breaks, at the expense of longer package holidays
at sb's expense
a) if you do something at someone's expense, they pay for you to do it
Her mansion was refurnished at taxpayers' expense.
b) if you make jokes at someone's expense, you laugh about them and make them seem stupid or silly
Louis kept making jokes at his wife's expense.
all expenses paid
having all of your costs for hotels, travel, meals etc paid for by someone else
The prize is an all-expenses-paid trip to Rio.
1. C.You decide to enjoy the car and to worry about the added expense later. c.你决定享受这辆汽车，以后再去为增加的开销发愁。
2. They could be saved so much misery and expense if they chose to live in the city where they rightly belong. 如果他们愿意生活在城市，本该免除这许多苦处和开支，因为他们本来就是那里的正当居民。
3. This increases the expense of government, and reduces correspondingly the amount of economic resources that could be used for developing the country. 这样的一来就增加了政府的开支，从而相应地减少了可以用来了展国家的那部分经济资源。
4. They could be saved so much misery and expense if they chose to live in the city where they rightly belong. 要是他们愿意住在本来属于他们的城市，则可以让他们省去诸多不便与节约大量开支。
5. 9.You suspect your rent (房租) or some other regular expense will increase. 9.你怀疑你的房租或其他常规开销将上涨。
6. All the college students are educated at the public expense. 所有的大学生都受公费教育。
7. As administrative overheads rise, so the earnings of the business after meeting he expense of administration, will fall; 管理费用增加了，那么在扣除管理费用后，企业的收入就降低了。
8. B.Despite the expense, you enjoy choosing gifts for any occasion. b.尽管要破费，你还是乐于为任何庆典盛会挑选礼物。
9. Over the next two decades, IIT graduates — educated at the expense of Indian taxpayers — played a major role in founding California's Silicon Valley. 在接下来的20年中，印度技术学院的毕业生们——那些用印度纳税人的钱培养出来的毕业生——却在加利福尼亚硅谷的创建过程中发挥了主要作用。
10. The total expense can be far less than the cost of hotels. 总费用算起来要比住旅馆开支少得多。