名词:holidayer 动词过去式:holidayed 过去分词:holidayed 现在分词:holidaying 第三人称单数:holidays
1 (a) day of rest, recreation or festivity, when no work is done 假日; 节日
*Sunday is a holiday in Christian countries. 在基督教国家中星期天是假日.
(b) (esp Brit) (also esp US vacation) (often pl 常作复数) period of time away from everyday work, used esp for travel, recreation and rest 假期
*the school holidays 学校的假期
* the Christmas holidays 圣诞节假期
* We're going to Spain for our summer holiday(s). 我们打算去西班牙度暑假.
* I'm taking two weeks' holiday. 我正在休假两星期.
* I'm entitled to
20 days' holiday a year. 我每年有20天假期.
* [attrib 作定语] a holiday resort, brochure 度假胜地、手册.
2 (idm 习语) a busman's holiday => busman (bus). high days and holidays => high1. on `holiday/on one's `holidays having a holiday 在休假
*The typist is away on holiday this week. 打字员本周休假.
v (esp Brit) (also esp US vacation) [I, Ipr, Ip] spend a holiday 度假
*They're holidaying on the west coast. 他们正在西海岸度假.
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*Holiday, vacation and leave all indicate a period of absence from work or duty. *holiday、vacation、leave均指不工作、不上课或不值班的期间. There are differences between British and American usage. 这几个词的用法在英美之间有所不同.
1 Holiday is used in both Britain and the US to mean a single day without work because of a religious or national festival 因宗教节日或国家喜庆而停止工作的单日假, 英美两国均用holiday表示之
*Friday is a holiday in Muslim countries. 在伊斯兰教国家中星期五是假日.
* The shops are closed tomorrow because it is a bank holiday. 明天是法定假日, 商店停止营业.
* In this country New Year's Day is a national holiday. 在这个国家里, 元旦是全国性的假日.
2 Holiday is used in Britain and vacation in the US when talking about the regular period of time taken away from work each year 指每年中的例行休假期间, 英国用holiday, 美国则用vacation
*Where are you going for your summer holidays/vacation? 你打算去哪里度暑假?
* I was on holiday/vacation last month. 我上个月休假了.
3 In Britain vacation is used mainly for the period of time when universities and lawcourts do not work 在英国, vacation主要用以指大学和法院放假期间
*in Britain the long vacation is from June to October 在英国, 长的假期是从六月到十月.
4 Leave means permission given to an employee to be absent from work for a special reason *leave指雇员因有某种理由而获准的休假
*She's been given sick/compassionate/maternity leave. 她获准休病假[事假/产假].
* They've refused him leave of absence. 他们不准他休假.
* He's taken unpaid leave for a month. 他请了一个月的停薪假.
5 Leave also means the period away from official duties of those working overseas, eg soldiers and diplomats *leave亦指派往海外工作的人员（如军人和外交人员）的假期
*He gets home leave every two years. 他每两年有一次探亲假.
1. Each day is a holiday, 每天都是假日，
2. We´re going to leave tomorrow. Tom and I are going to have a holiday. 我们明天就要走了. 汤姆和我准备去度假.
3. We´re going on holiday next month. 我们准备下月去度假.
4. We had a splendid holiday. 我们过了一个极为愉快的假期。
5. We´re going to leave tomorrow. Tom and I are going to have a holiday. 我们明天就要走了. 汤姆和我准备去度假.
6. When are you going to have a holiday, Sam? 萨姆，你准备什么时候去度假？
7. When she saw the state of his clothes, she became more determined than ever to make him work hard during the holiday on Saturday. 波莉姨妈心里正盘算着要罚他在星期六干活，现在，看到汤姆满身泥巴的样子，决心就更坚定了。
8. The teacher has assigned each of us a holiday task. 教师给我们每个人都分配了假日的工作.
9. Their holiday was ruined by a whole series of misadventures. 一连串的不幸事故把他们的假日全毁了.
10. They are being very mysterious about their holiday plans. 关于他们的度假计划, 他们显得很神秘.