n.磨光,光泽,上光剂,优雅,精良 vt.擦亮,发亮,磨光,推敲 vi.发亮,变光滑 adj.波兰的 n.波兰人 Polish 波兰(Poland)的
名词:polisher 动词过去式:polished 过去分词:polished 现在分词:polishing 第三人称单数:polishes
1 [I, Ipr, Ip, Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] ~ (sth) (up) (with sth) (cause sth to) become smooth and shiny by rubbing 磨光, 擦亮（某物）
*This table-top polishes up nicely. 这个桌面能擦得很亮.
* polish (up) wood, furniture, shoes etc with a cloth 用布把木器、家具、鞋等擦亮.
2 [Tn] (fig 比喻) improve (sth) by correcting, making small changes or adding new material 修正, 修改, 修饰（某物）
*polish a speech, an article, etc 给讲稿、文章等润色.
3 (phr v) polish sth off (infml 口) finish sth quickly 迅速做完某事
*polish off a big plateful of stew 很快吃完一大盘炖菜
* polish off the arrears of correspondence 匆匆写完待覆的信件.
1 (a) [sing] shiny surface, etc obtained by polishing （磨或擦而成的）光亮的面
*a table-top with a good polish 打磨得很亮的桌面.
(b) [sing] action of polishing 磨光; 擦亮; 修饰
*give the floor a thorough polish 把地板彻底弄光亮.
(c) [U, C] substance used for polishing 擦光剂; 上光剂
*`furniture, `floor, `shoe polish 家具上光蜡、地板蜡、鞋油
* a tin of metal polish 一罐金属擦光剂
* apply polish to sth 给某物上光.
2 [U] (fig比喻) additional quality of fineness or elegance; refinement文雅; 高雅; 优雅; 优美
*an unsophisticated country fellowwho completely lacked polish 全无文雅气质不懂世故的乡下人
* a crude performance of the symphony, quite without polish 那首交响乐拙劣的演奏, 毫无美感.
3 (idm 习语) spit and polish => spit1.
1. Eventually, a man speaking broken Polish approaches us, takes us to the ticket window, and then helps us board our train. 终于,一个操着洋泾浜的波兰语的人走了过来，把我们带到了售票处，并帮我们登上了火车。
2. The Russian Tsar would not allow Polish children to study the history of their own country or even their own language. 俄国沙皇不允许波兰儿童学习本国的历史，甚至不许他们学习本族语言。
3. Quick hands grabbed all the Polish history books off the desks, and hid them away. 双手敏捷地从课桌上抓起波兰历史课本就藏了起来，
4. Haroun Tazieff, the Polish scientist, has spent his lifetime studying active volcanoes and deep caves in all parts of the world. 波兰科学家哈罗恩.塔捷耶夫花了毕生的精力来研究世界各地的活火山和探洞。
5. He moved all three matches from east to west and said that was what should be done — meaning that much of the new Poland should be carved out of Germany and that the Soviet Union should retain the Polish territory seized on the basis of the Nazi-Sovi 他把三根火柴全部从东部移到了西部，并且说这就是应该做的事——意思是新波兰的大部分从德国分离出来，苏联应当继续保留根据德苏条约侵占的波兰领土。
6. "So, my little Polish patriot, you do not wish to tell me who rules over us," the Russian inspector said. “那么我的波兰小爱国者，你还不想告诉我是谁统治我们，”俄国督学说。
7. These are not the friendly fields, the farmyards of Polish countryside; 这些田地不象波兰农村的农家场院那样令人感到亲切友好。
8. In my heart as well as in the mirror, I became a permanent brown — like the best shoe polish, guaranteed not to rub nor run. 不仅在镜中，也在内心深处，我变成了永远不黑不白的棕色人-- 就像那最好的鞋油，不会被抹掉，也永不褪色。
9. For example, there's the story of a Polish Jew who came to Canada and became prosperous (he's now a millionaire !) by producing Polish pickles. 例如, 有一个波兰籍的犹太人来到加拿大，通过腌制波兰泡菜而发了财！（他现在是个百万富翁！）