fer＝to carry（运；载），to bear（忍耐）
1 (a) [U, sing] ~ (for sth) liking for sth (more than sth else) （与他物相较之）喜爱; 偏爱
*There is milk and cream do you have a preference? 有牛奶也有奶油--你喜欢哪样?
* It's entirely a matter of preference. 这完全是个见仁见智的问题.
* She has a preference for blue. 她特别喜欢蓝色.
(b) [C] thing that is liked better or best 偏爱的事物; 特别爱好的事物
*What are your preferences? 你最喜欢什么?
2 [U] ~ (to/towards sb) favour shown to one person, group, etc rather than another 优待; 优惠; 优先权
*Employees who have worked here for many years will be given preference over newcomers. 与新来乍到者不同, 对那些工作多年的雇员将予以优待.
* She tried not to show preference in her treatment of the children in her care. 她对待她所照顾的孩子尽可能不厚此薄彼.
3 (idm 习语) in preference to sb/sth rather than sb/sth 而不取某人[某事物]
*She chose to learn the violin in preference to the piano. 她愿学小提琴而不学钢琴.
n [U and C]
if you have a preference for something, you like it more than another thing and will choose it if you can
→prefer Do you have a colour preference ?preference for a cultural preference for boy babies Parents may be able to express a preference as to the school their child will attend. The amount of sugar you add will depend on personal preference . Many elderly people expressed a strong preference to live in their own homes.in preference to sth
(=rather than something) Use clear English in preference to technical language. [U and C]
when someone is treated more favourably than other people, often when he or she has been treated unfairly in the past Racial preferences are a way to make up for years of discrimination against minorities.give/show preference (to sb) In allocating housing, preference is given to families with young children.sexual preference
someone's sexual preference is whether they want to have sex with men or women
1. By comparison, nearly half of male high-school students express their preference for a traditional, male-headed, one provider, nuclear family, where the wife stays home as mother and housewife. 与此相比, 几乎有一半男中学生表达了他们对传统的、以男人为家长的、只有一个人养家糊口的核心家庭的偏爱，在这种家庭里妻子作为母亲和家庭主妇呆在家里。
2. A polar bear has a preference for cold weather. 北极熊喜欢寒冷的天气。
3. A polar bear has a preference for cold weather. 北极熊喜欢寒冷的天气。
4. One provision of the bill states that, among non-immigrant visa applicants, the state should give preference to foreign nationals with secondary degrees in math, science, engineering or technology. 该议案的一项条款规定：在非移民签证申请者中，政府应优先考虑给那些具有数学、自然科学、工程或技术方面中级学位的外国公民，