(of a boat, its crew, etc) move away from a pier, jetty, etc （指船、全体船员等）驶离码头等
*We put off from the quay. 我们驶离了码头. put sb off
(a) (of a vehicle, boat, etc) stop in order to allow sb to get off （指车船等）停住让某人下去
*I asked the bus driver to put me off near the town centre. 我请公共汽车司机在快到市中心时让我下车.
(b) postpone or cancel a meeting or an engagement with sb 推迟或取消会议或与某人的约会
*We've invited friends to supper and it's too late to put them off now, ie to tell them not to come. 我们已邀请朋友来吃晚饭, 现在取消已来不及了.
* She put him off with the excuse that (ie said that she could not see him because) she had too much work to do. 她以工作太忙为藉口取消了跟他的约会.
(c) make sb feel dislike; displease, repel or disgust sb 使某人不高兴; 惹某人不悦、厌恶或反感
*He's a good salesman, but his offhand manner does tend to put people off. 他是个很好的推销员, 可是他那随便的态度容易使人产生反感.
* Don't beput off by his gruff exterior; he's really very kind underneath.别介意他表现粗野, 其实他心地很善良. put sb off (sth) disturb sb who is doing sth; distract sb 打搅某人; 使某人注意力不集中
*Don't put me off when I'm trying to concentrate. 我正要集中注意力呢, 别打搅我.
* The sudden noise put her off her game. 突如其来的嘈杂声分散了她比赛时的注意力. put sb off sth/doing sth cause sb to lose his interest in or liking or appetite for sth 使某人对某事物失去兴趣、不再喜欢或倒了胃口
*The accident put her off driving for life. 这次事故使她一辈子不愿意再开车了.
* She was put off maths by a bullying and incompetent teacher. 她对数学失去了兴趣, 因为老师仗势欺人又没教学能力. put sth off switch sth off 关掉某物
*Could you put the lights off before you leave? 你走的时候把灯关掉好吗? put sth off; put off doing sth postpone, delay or defer sth 推迟、延缓或拖延某事物
*We've had to put our wedding off until September. 我们得把婚礼延期到九月举行.
* This afternoon's meeting will have to be put off. 今天下午的会议得延期.
* She keeps putting off going to the dentist. 她老是拖延着不去看牙病.
1. Eventually chains were fixed to one end of the dish and a powerful winch was put into operation. 不过，他们终于将链条固定在盘子的一端，一台大功率的绞车开动起来。
2. Eat these foods with plentiful Vitamin C (for example, drink orange juice with cereal or put a tomato on a sandwich) to enhance the amount of iron absorbed." 摄取含有大量维生素C的食物——比如吃麦片时喝橘子汁，或在三明治内夹上番茄——可以促进铁离子的吸收。"
3. Brute force was used to put down the revolt. 使用残忍的武力平息反叛。
4. By the end of October 1886, the statue had been put together again and it was officially presented to the American people by Bartholdi. 到1886年10月底，这座雕像被重新组装起来，由巴索尔地正式赠送给美国人民。
5. But, one morning Miss Sullivan took Helen to a water pond, and she put Helen´s hand under the water. 直到一天早晨，萨莉文小姐带着海伦来到一个池塘边，她把海伦的手放进水里，
6. But few foreign graduates came home to "pay their pledge", as Nehru had put it. 但是只有寥寥无几的海外留学生像尼赫鲁所说的那样学成后回国"履行他们的诺言"。
7. But, as I walked out of the garage, KFC chicken in hand, a portly, unshaven young man in a stocking cap and dark nylon jacket emerged from the shrub by the parking pad and put his pistol between my eyes. 可是当我手里拿着肯德基炸鸡走出车库时，一个肥壮、留着短髭、头戴绒线帽、身穿深色尼龙夹克的年轻人从停车处旁边的灌木丛中钻出来，把手枪顶在我的双眼之间。
8. But he added, "You don't have to know how everything is put together, just how the system operates. 但他又补充道："可你无须知道各部件是怎样组装的，只要知道系统怎样操作就行了。
9. We often speak of tramps with contempt and put them in the same class as beggars. 我们常常轻蔑地谈起流浪者，并把他们归于乞丐一类；
10. When it has been decided where we are going to drill, we put up at the surface an oil derrick. 当钻孔地点决定后, 我们就在那块地面上坚起一个井架.