名词:survivor 动词过去式:survived 过去分词:survived 现在分词:surviving 第三人称单数:survives
1 [I, Ipr] ~ (from sth); ~ (on sth) continue to live or exist 继续生存或存在
*the last surviving member of the family 这家唯一活着的人
* Of the six people in the plane that crashed, only one survived. 在失事飞机上的六个人, 仅一人幸存.
* Many strange customs have survived from earlier times. 有许多古怪的习俗源远流长.
* I can't survive on ￡30 a week, ie It is not enough for my basic needs. 我每周收入30英镑难以活命.
* (fig 比喻) Life is hard at the moment, but we're surviving, ie coping successfully with the difficulties. 目前生活很艰难, 但我们正在挣扎求生.
2 [Tn] continue to live or exist in spite of nearly being killed or destroyed by (sth) 经历（某事物）幸存
*survive an earthquake, shipwreck, etc 经历地震、沉船等而死里逃生
* Few buildings survived the bombing raids intact. 空袭过後幸存的建筑物绝无仅有.
* The plants may not survive the frost. 这些植物不经冻.
3 [Tn] remain alive after (sb) 比（某人）长命
*The old lady has survived all her children. 那老太太的子女都先她而去世了.
[Date: 1400-1500; Language: Old French;Origin: survivre 'to live longer than', from Latin supervivere, from vivere 'to live']
[I and T]
to continue to live after an accident, war, or illness
Only 12 of the 140 passengers survived.
She survived the attack.
people who survive cancer
[I and T]
to continue to live normally in spite of many problems
I'm sure she will survive this crisis.
I've had a tough few months, but I'll survive.
to manage to live a normal life even though you have very little money
I don't know how you all manage to survive on Jeremy's salary.
the amount that a family needs each week just to survive
to continue to exist after a long time
A few pages of the original manuscript still survive.
Several buildings in the town have survived from medieval times.
an old custom which has survived into the twenty-first century
The main building was demolished, but the library still survives as a museum.
[I and T]
to continue to be successful
The car industry cannot survive without government help.
A lot of smaller firms did not survive the recession.
to live longer than someone else, usually someone closely related to you
He is survived by his wife, Sue.
1. Education concerning how to survive an earthquake should be a major emphasis for all government programs and earthquake-related research projects. 教育人们如何在地震中幸存下来，应该是所有政府规划和地震研究项目的重点所在。
2. We cannot survive for long without food and drink. 我们没有食物和饮料就活不了多久.
3. The opinion does not survive experience of a popular Continental camping place. 但这种说法在受人欢迎的欧洲露营地是站不住脚的。
4. They can survive in this region of little water, little shade, and high day-time temperature. 它们可以在这个缺水、少荫和白昼高温的地区生存。
5. Now governments and businesses realise bad air and water pollution affect everyone, making it difficult for cities to survive and for businesses to make a profit. 如今，政府和企业都认识到，受到污染的空气和水会危害每一个人，会使城市难以生存，公司无利可图。
6. A cat´s ability to survive falls is based on fact. 猫在跌落时能够大难不死是有事实作为依据的。
7. As the number of people on Earth increases, it becomes increasingly difficult for the population to survive on the resources of the land. 随着地球上人口的增加，人类依靠土地资源生存变得越来越困难。
8. Of all the planets in our own solar system, we are now pretty certain the Earth is the only one on which life can survive. 我们目前可以肯定的是，在我们太阳系的所有行星中，地球是生命能存在的唯一行星。
9. It is almost always due to some very special circumstances that traces of land animals survive, 几乎总是由于某些特殊的条件，陆地动物的遗体才被存下来，
10. If you only occasionally use one of these coping mechanisms to help yourself survive, that is acceptable. 如果你仅仅是偶尔使用一下其中一个应付办法来帮助你生存下去，这也无妨。