1 weapon with a long thin metal blade and a protected handle （用作武器有防护手柄的）剑, 刀
*draw/sheathe one's sword, ie take it out of/put it into its sheath 把剑拔出[插入鞘中].
2 (idm 习语) cross swords => cross2. fire and sword => fire1. the pen is mightier than the sword => pen1. put sb to the `sword (dated or rhet 旧或修辞) kill sb with a sword 用刀或剑杀死某人.
[Language: Old English;Origin:
a weapon with a long pointed blade and a handlea/the sword of Damoclesliterary
a bad thing that might happen at any time The treaty hung like a sword of Damocles over French politics.put sb to the swordliterary
to kill someone with a swordturn/beat swords into ploughsharesliterary
to start using money, equipment, and skills for peaceful purposes rather than for fighting
→cross swords (with sb)atcross1
(16), double-edged swordatdouble-edged
1. He sheathed his sword. 他把剑插进鞘里.
2. As I fought back, he drew his sword and thrust it at me." 当我还手的时候, 他拔出剑来向我刺来.
3. "I figure there's a sword hanging over their head, and that's pressure," they said. "我想他们的头上悬着一把剑，要承受很大的压力，"他们说。
4. Yes,he kept punching and kicking me. If I had a sword, I would have killed him. 是的,他不停用拳头打我,踢我,如果我当时有一把剑,我就会杀了他.
5. "A serf! He forced my brother to draw upon him, and fell by my brother´s sword, " said the nobleman. "一个农奴! 他迫使我兄弟拔出剑来对着他, 然后就倒在我兄弟的剑下," 那个贵族说.
6. It´s really foolish of you to buy such a rusty sword. 你真傻, 买了一把生锈的剑.
7. I carried a samurai sword and a whip. 我携带一把武士刀和一条鞭子.