1 (a) using, showing or caused by strong (esp unlawful) physical force 使用暴力的, 显示暴力的, 暴力引起的（尤指非法的）
*violent criminals, demonstrators, activists, etc 使用暴力的罪犯、示威者、激进分子等
* a violent attack, protest, struggle, etc 猛烈的攻击、强烈的抗议、激烈的斗争
* Students were involved in violent clashes with the police. 学生与警方发生了暴力冲突.
* meet with/die a violent death, eg be murdered 暴力致死（如被谋杀）.
(b) using, showing or caused by intense emotion 带有强烈感情的; 由强烈感情引起的
*violent passions, rages, fits, etc 狂热的激情、暴怒、感情的迸发
* violent language, abuse, etc 激烈的言语、辱骂等
* in a state of violent shock 在万分震惊中
* He has a violent dislike of school. 他很讨厌上学.
2 severe or extreme 厉害的; 极度的
*violent winds, storms, earthquakes, etc 强烈的风、风暴、地震等
* violent toothache, pain, etc 剧烈的牙痛、疼痛等
* a violent contrast, change, etc 强烈的对比、巨大的变化.
1300-1400; Language: Old French;Origin:Latin
involving actions that are intended to injure or kill people, by hitting them, shooting them etc the increase in violent crime violent clashes between the police and demonstrators 31 people have been injured in violent incidents throughout the day. The riots ended in the violent deaths of three teenagers.
someone who is violent is likely to attack, hurt, or kill other people
= aggressive My father was a violent and dangerous man. He had a reputation for turning violent (=suddenly attacking people) .
showing very strong angry emotions or opinionsviolent quarrel/argument/row etc They had a violent quarrel and John stormed out.
violent feelings are strong and very difficult to control They took a violent dislike to each other. She has a violent temper.violent headache/fit etc
a physical feeling or reaction that is very painful or difficult to controlviolent film/play/drama
a film etc that contains a lot of violencea violent storm/earthquake/explosion etc
a storm etc that happens with a lot of force
extremely bright Her cheeks turned a violent red colour.
1. By a violent effort she overcame her feelings and replied in a calm voice, as she wiped her wet cheeks: 她极力控制住自己的情绪，一边擦泪，一边平静地答道：
2. The struggle became more and more violent. 斗争变得越来越狂暴了。
3. These include the swift Gulf Stream current, the unexplored submerged valleys of the Atlantic and the often violent weather within the mystery zone. 这其中包括墨西哥湾的湍急海流，尚未探测的大西洋海沟，以及该神秘区域经常变幻莫测的恶劣天气。
4. And I acknowledge that some children are better off without a violent father, a family income wasted on drinking or gambling, or unhappy parents taking out their anger on everyone in the family. 我承认，如果没有狂暴的父亲，家里的钱没有被浪费在酗酒或赌博上，父母感到不快时不会对家里每个人撒气，一些孩子会生活得更好。
5. Comedians base their jokes on tragic situations like violent death or serious accidents. 喜剧演员根据悲剧情节诸如暴死，重大事故等来编造笑话。
6. In his own lifetime Galileo was the centre of violent controversy; 伽利略在世时是激烈论战的中心。
7. It´s as if they were, in some sense, cosmic beings in violent and lovely contrast with us suburban creatures. 从某种意义上讲，他们似乎是宇宙人，同我们这些凡夫俗子形成了强烈而鲜明的对照。
8. I assumed because I didn't believe in violence, because I wasn't violent, I wouldn't be affected by violence. I believed my belief in the best of human nature could make it real. 我应该把枪从住所带到车上，但是我没有。这支枪的功能，以及使用它的目的比用它所能阻止的事件更让我感到恐惧。