adj ~ (to sb/sth)
1 that can be seen; in sight 可见的; 看得见的
*The hills were barely visible through the mist. 小山隐没在薄雾中难以看清.
* This star is not visible to the naked eye. 这颗星肉眼看不见.
2 (fig 比喻) that can be noticed or ascertained; apparent 能注意到的; 能确定的; 明显的
*visible improvements, differences, changes, etc 明显的改善、区别、变化等
* speak with visible contempt, dismay, impatience, etc 说话中流露出轻蔑、气馁、不耐烦...之意.
1300-1400; Language: Latin;Origin:
visibilis, from visus; VISION
something that is visible can be seen
≠ invisibleclearly/highly/barely etc visible The outline of the mountains was clearly visible.visible to The sign was clearly visible to passing motorists. The comet is visible to the naked eye (=can be seen without using special equipment) . Check the plant for any visible signs of disease.
an effect that is visible is great enough to be noticed
= noticeable There has been a visible change in his attitude.
someone who is visible is in a situation in which a lot of people notice them highly visible politicians
1. The star is visible. 那星星可以用肉眼看见.
2. These mysterious patches of light are still visible today and so bright that they have been seen from U.S. spacecraft in orbit around the earth. 这些神奇的光带如今仍然可见，而且明亮得连在绕地球轨道飞行的美国飞船里都可以看到。
3. The value of age and experience is denied, and women in particular feel the threat that the visible changes of ageing bring. 年龄和经验的价值被否定了。女性尤其感受到因衰老而致的外在改变所带来的威胁。
4. A much more visible assignment. 这是个更显眼的工作。
5. A genetic trail visible on the maps shows that the breeding ground for this mixed population probably lies in Ethiopia or the Middle East. 图谱上显示的遗传轨迹表明这一混血人种的发生地可能就在埃塞俄比亚或中东地区。
6. According to a published study, visible improvements appear in the skin texture after two or three months of treatment. 根据一份已公开的研究，使用该疗法两三个月后皮肤肌理看得出有所改善。
7. Gradually the river grows wider, the banks recede, the waters flow more quietly, and in the end, without any visible break, they become merged in the sea, and painlessly lose their individual being. 然后河面渐渐地变宽，两岸后撤，河水流得平缓起来，最后连绵不断地汇入大海，毫无痛苦地失去了自我的存在。
8. Which may keep company with the vessel for an hour without visible or more than occasional movement of wing. 它们随船飞行一小时也难得见其扇动一下翅膀。