动词过去式:bowed 过去分词:bowed 现在分词:bowing 第三人称单数:bows
1 piece of wood bent into a curve by a tight string joining its ends, used as a weapon for shooting arrows （射箭用的）弓
*hunt with bows and arrows 以弓、箭行猎. =>illus at archer 见archery之插图.
2 wooden rod with strands of horse-hair stretched from end to end, used for playing stringed instruments 琴弓. =>illus at App
1 见附录1之插图, page xi.
3 knot made with loops; ribbon tied in this way 蝴蝶结; 打成蝴蝶结的丝带
*tie shoelaces in a bow 把鞋带打成蝴蝶结
* a dress decorated with bows 饰有蝴蝶结的连衣裙. =>illus 见插图.
4 (idm 习语) have two strings/a second, etc string to one's bow have a second person, skill or resource available to one for a particular purpose, as a replacement for or an alternative to a first 有後备人选、技术或资源; 有两手准备
*As both a novelist and a university lecturer, she has two strings to her bow. 她又是小说家又当大学讲师, 有两手准备.
v [I, Tn] use a bow on (a stringed instrument) 用弓拉（弦乐器）.
1 (a) [I, Ipr, Ip] ~ (down) (to/before sb/sth) bend the head or body as a sign of respect or as a greeting 鞠躬; 点头（表示尊敬或打招呼）
*The cast bowed as the audience applauded. 演员们向鼓掌的观众鞠躬.
* We all bowed to the Queen. 我们都向女王鞠躬致敬.
* The priest bowed down before the altar. 牧师在圣坛前行鞠躬礼.
(b) [Tn] bend (the head or body) as a sign of respect 俯（首）或欠（身）致敬
*The congregation bowed their heads in prayer. 会众在一起低头祷告.
2 [usu passive 通常用于被动语态
*Tn, Tn.p] bend (sb/sth) under or as if under a weight 压弯（某人[某物]）; 像被压弯
*His back was bowed with age. 他因年老而驼背.
* branches bowed down by the snow on them 被积雪压弯的树枝.
3 (idm 习语) ,bow and `scrape (usu derog 通常作贬义) behave in an obsequious or a servile manner 点头哈腰; 奴颜婢膝
*The waiter showed us to our table with much bowing and scraping. 服务员一个劲儿地点头哈腰领我们就座.
4 (phr v) bow sb in/out bow to sb as he enters/leaves a room, etc 躬身迎入[送出]某人. bow out (of sth)
(a) withdraw from sth 退出, 离开某事物
*I'm bowing out of this scheme I don't approve of it. 我退出这个计划--我不同意它.
(b) retire from an important position 从要位上离退
*After thirty years in politics, he is finally bowing out. 他从政三十年之後, 终于决定退出政坛. bow to sth submit to sth; accept sth 顺从某事物; 接受某事物
*bow to the inevitable 顺从命运; 听天由命
* bow to sb's opinion, wishes, greater experience 尊重某人的意见、意愿、丰富的经验
* We're tired of having to bow to authority. 我们对必须服从权威这一点感到厌倦.
1 bending of the head or body (as a greeting, etc) 点头致意; 鞠躬礼
*acknowledge sb with a bow 点头招呼某人
* He made a bow and left the room. 他鞠了一个躬就离开了房间.
2 (idm 习语) take a/one's `bow (of an actor or actors) acknowledge applause by bowing (bow2 1a) （指演员）鞠躬谢幕.
1 (often pl 常作复数) front or forward end of a boat or ship 船头; 船首; 艏
*The yacht hit a rock and damaged her bows. 游艇碰上了礁石, 撞坏了船头. =>illus at yacht 见yacht之插图.
2 (in rowing) oarsman nearest the bow （划艇）船头的划桨手. Cf 参看 stroke1
1. The expedition carried a little flour and sugar, but mostly they relied on the fish that Pinero caught with his harpoon and the game that was shot with bow and arrow, using the campfire to grill meat or cassava cakes. 探险队在旅途中只带少量的面粉和糖，通常是德派因罗用渔叉叉鱼，用弓箭猎取野味，他们在篝火上烤肉吃，也做木薯饼。
2. He held his son´s hand firmly to be sure that boy did not bow either. 他紧握儿子的手, 以确保孩子也不鞠躬.
3. As in riding the bow waves of a ship. 就像它们追逐被船首犁开的浪花一样。
4. Deep down, caseworkers know that they are being made fools of by many of their clients, and they feel they are entitled to have clients bow to them as compensation. 社会工作者心里知道许多救济对象在欺骗他们，因此他们觉得，作为补偿，他们有权让救济对象向他们点头哈腰。
5. A violin is played with a bow. 提琴是用弓来拉奏的
6. As she emerged from her drifting cloud of gun smoke with the water churned to foam beneath her bow, her flags flying, pennants waving, sails filling in the breeze, and the red and gold of her superstructure ablaze with colour, 当"瓦萨"号从弥漫的礼炮烟云中出现时，船头下浪花四溅，舰旗迎风招展，三角旗随风飘动，微风鼓起风帆，金碧辉煌的船楼闪耀着灿烂的色彩。
7. As a welfare client I'm expected to bow before the caseworker. 作为一名福利救济对象，我必须在社会工作者面前卑躬屈膝。
8. Slowly he raised the bow, pulled back the cord, and after taking careful aim, let the arrow fly. 他慢慢地端起弓,绷紧弦,仔细瞄准以后, 把箭射出去了.
9. Slowly he raised the bow, pulled back the cord, and after taking careful aim, let the arrow fly. 他慢慢地端起弓,绷紧弦,仔细瞄准以后, 把箭射出去了.
10. One beats a small drum, another plays a wooden stringed instrument, and the other three have smaller, violin- like pieces they play with a bow." 他们中一个击鼓，另一个奏着木制的弦乐器，另外三个用琴弓拉着一种类似小提琴的小小的乐器。"