1 having (esp practical) ability; able; competent 有（尤指实际的）能力的; 有能力的; 能胜任的
*a very capable woman 很能干的女子.
2 [pred 作表语] ~ of (doing) sth
(a) having the ability or power necessary for sth 有做某事所必要的能力或力量
*You are capable of better work than this. 你能做得更好.
* Show me what you are capable of, ie how well you can work. 让我看看你有什么本事.
* He is capable of running a mile in four minutes. 他能用四分钟跑一英里.
(b) have the character or inclination to do sth 有做某事的特长或倾向
*He's quite capable of lying (ie It wouldn't be surprising if he lied) to get out of trouble. 他很会蒙混过关（他若撒谎亦不足为奇）.
3 [pred 作表语] ~ of sth (fml 文) (of situations, remarks, etc) open to or allowing sth （指情况、言语等）可以, 容许
*Our position is capable of improvement. 我们的地位可以改善.
[Date: 1500-1600; Language: French;Origin:Late Latin capabilis, from Latin capere 'to take']
capable of (doing) sth
having the qualities or ability needed to do something
I don't think he's capable of murder.
The company isn't capable of handling an order that large.
I'm perfectly capable of looking after myself, thank you!
able to do things well
a strong, capable woman
someone who is able to do something well
Helen was put in the capable hands of hair stylist Daniel Herson.
1. Elephants like to have one master just as dogs do, and are capable of a considerable degree of personal affection. 大象和狗一样，喜欢有一个专一的主人，而且会对主人产生相当深厚的私人感情。
2. That vulture is capable of doing anything. 那个贪得无厌的人什么事都能干得出来。
3. This responsibility does not include my doing for you what you are capable of doing for yourself; nor does it mean that I run your life for you. 这种负责并非替他做他可以自己做到的事，也不是操纵他的生活。
4. A planet would have to be a very long way from it to be capable of supporting life. 那么一颗行星为了维持生命就要离开的它的恒星非常远。
5. At present, there is no telescope in existence that is capable of detecting the presence of life. 现在，没有一台现存的望远镜可以发现生命的存在。
6. You are capable of better work than this. 你能做得更好.
7. Computers are capable of doing extremely complicated work in all branches of learning. 电子计算机能从事各种专业知识的极为复杂工作。
8. It is a strange thought, but I believe a correct one, that twenty or thirty pages of ideas and information would be capable of turning the present-day world upside down, or even destroying it. 这是个离奇的想法。不过我认为这个想法是正确的。
9. When they would be capable of providing information about traffic jams and suggesting alternative routes, 计算机可以提供交通堵塞的信息并建议可替换的路线.
10. I should transport the gun from my residence to my vehicle, but I don't. What the gun is capable of, what it is intended for, still frightens me more than what it may prevent. 如果我带着枪的时候遭到了袭击，那我就必须用它来杀人，而不仅仅是伤人。