1 [C] conference of members of a profession, political party, etc （某一职业、政党等之人士召开的）大会
*a teachers', dentists', etc convention 教师的、牙科医生的会议
* hold a convention 召开大会
* the US Democratic Party Convention, ie to elect a candidate for President 美国民主党代表大会（会上选出总统候选人）.
2 (a) [U] general, usu unspoken, agreement about how people should act or behave in certain circumstances （某种情况下的）习俗, 惯例
*Convention dictates that a minister should resign in such a situation. 依照常规大臣在这种情况下应该辞职.
* By convention the deputy leader is always a woman. 按照惯例这一领导人的副职总是由女子担任.
* defy convention by wearing outrageous clothes 穿着奇装异服以对抗习俗
* a slave to convention, ie sb who always follows accepted ways of doing things 传统的奴隶（墨守成规的人）.
(b) [C] customary practice 惯常作法; 惯例
*the conventions which govern stock-market dealing 证券交易所遵循的惯例.
3 [C] agreement between states, rulers, etc that is less formal than a treaty （国家、首脑等之间的）协议, 协定
*the Geneva Convention, ie about the treatment of prisoners of war, etc （关于战俘待遇等问题的）日内瓦协定.
1400-1500; Language: French;Origin:Latin
conventio, from convenire; CONVENIENT
a large formal meeting for people who belong to the same profession or organization or who have the same interests a teachers' convention the city's new convention center a convention for science fiction fans[C]
a formal agreement, especially between countries, about particular rules or behaviour
, treaty treatyconvention on the European convention on human rights [U and C]
behaviour and attitudes that most people in a society consider to be normal and right
= custom Playing together teaches children social conventions such as sharing. They defied the conventions of the time by living together without being married.by convention By convention, the bride's father gives her away at her wedding.[C]
a method or style often used in literature, art, the theatre etc to achieve a particular effect the conventions of the nineteenth century novel
1. They will miss the ritual interaction that goes with a welcoming cup of tea or coffee that may be a convention in their own country. 他们也会怀念那种喝着招待客人的茶或咖啡的礼节性交往, 这也许是他们自己国家的一种习俗。
2. How many delegates have checked in at the convention? 大会已有多少代表报到？
3. In 1864 a treaty — The Convention of Geneva — was signed and the Red Cross came into being. 1864年，一项协议——日内瓦公约得以签署，红十字会诞生了。