n [U] state of being dark 黑暗
*The room was in complete darkness. 室内一片漆黑.
when there is no light
the long hours of darkness during winter
The lamp suddenly went out, leaving us in darkness.
The room was in total darkness.
We lit our campfire as darkness fell (=it became night) .
He stared out the window at the gathering darkness (=the night slowly coming) .
evil or the devil
His smooth manner covered a heart of darkness.
the forces/powers of darkness
(=the devil or evil people)
the dark quality of a colour
the darkness of the lenses
1. Better to light one candle than to curse the darkness. 与其诅咒黑暗，不如燃起蜡烛。
2. Working rapidly in the darkness, he soon changed into the dead man´s clothes. 他在黑暗中忙活了一阵儿，很快就换上了死者的衣服。
3. The darkness waned and a faint auroral glow began to appear in the east. 黑暗接近尾声，而一道微弱的曙光开始从东方出现。
4. They left under (the) cloak of darkness. 他们在黑暗的遮掩下离开了.
5. The match flared in the darkness. 火柴的光亮在黑暗中一闪.
6. The neighborhood was covered in a sleeping darkness. 整个住宅区都沉睡在黑暗之中。
7. Then as his gaze reached out into the darkness, he began to talk. 后来，望着茫茫夜色，他开始谈了起来。
8. Total darkness came as a result of a swelling of the nerve leading to his eye — a condition that was unrelated to the eye disease that had limited his vision since birth. 双目失明是由视神经发炎膨胀造成的--这病与他的眼疾无关。自出生起他就有眼疾，视力有限。
9. He stepped into the cave. Suddenly he saw two eyes glaring at him out of the darkness. 他迈步走进洞里. 突然, 他看见有两只眼睛从黑暗处瞪着他.
10. He stepped into the cave. Suddenly he saw two eyes glaring at him out of the darkness. 他迈步走进洞里. 突然, 他看见有两只眼睛从黑暗处瞪着他.