/'deɪtə, also 'dɑ:tə; [US] 'dætə; `dætə/
(a) [U or pl] facts or information used in deciding or discussing sth 资料
*Very little data is available. 现有的资料十分不足.
* The data is/are still being analysed. 资料仍在分析中.
(b) [usu sing v 通常与单数动词连用] (computing 计) information prepared for or stored by a computer 数据
*[attrib 作定语] data analysis, capture, retrieval 数据分析、捕捉、检索
* data protection, ie legal restrictions on access to data stored in a computer 数据保护.
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*There are a lot of nouns in English of Latin or Greek origin. 英语名词中有很多来自拉丁语或希腊语. They often end in -us, -a, -um, -on, etc. 这些词多以-us、-a、-um、-on等结尾. The plural forms of these nouns can cause difficulty. 这些名词的复数形式可能会造成困难.
1 Some, especially scientific terms, have kept their original singular and plural forms 有些词, 特别是科学术语, 仍保留着原来的单复数形式
* larva, larvae
* criterion, criteria.
2 Many, especially those in general use, now only have a regular English plural form 其中很多词, 特别是常用词, 现在只有合乎英语规则的复数形式
* circus, circuses
* electron, electrons.
3 Some have alternative plural forms, which are both acceptable. 有些词, 有两种复数形式, 均可使用. The Latin form is more formal 拉丁语式的复数形式较庄重
* formula, formulas/formulae
* spectrum, spectrums/spectra.
4 There is uncertainty with some nouns as to whether they are singular or plural 有些名词到底是单数还是复数, 难以确定
*This data is correct and These data are correct are both acceptable. 数据正确（英文句中用is或are均可）. Paraphernalia (a Greek plural) is used as a singular noun *paraphernalia（希腊语复数）一字用作单数名词
*All my fishing paraphernalia is in the car. 我的鱼具都在汽车里. Media (sing medium) is sometimes incorrectly used as a singular noun *media（单数为medium）一字有时误用作单数名词
*The media are (NOT is) often accused of being biased. 传播媒介常遭指责, 认为有偏见（英文句中不可用is）.
[Date: 1600-1700; Origin: Plural of datum 'fact, piece of information' (17-21 centuries), from Latin, past participle of dare 'to give']
information or facts
The research involves collecting data from two random samples.
data on pesticide use
experimental/historical/statistical etc data
detailed research data
information in a form that can be stored and used, especially on a computer
It's possible to store a lot more data on a DVD.
1. Experimental data seem to indicate that the amount of radon (Rn) in the water under the surface of the Earth waxes before an earthquake. 实验数据似乎表明，地震前地下水中氡的含量会增高。
2. Employers and landlords often buy this information from companies that are in the business of creating data profiles. 雇主、房东们常向开发数据档案的公司购买这类信息。
3. But while the Internet primarily moves words, the information superhighway will soon make routine the electronic transmission of data in other formats, such as audio files and images. 但是，互联网主要是传送文字，而信息高速公路不久将使其他形式的电子数据传送（如声音资料和图像的传送）成为常规。
4. They set to work accumulating a huge mass of data. 他们开始累积大量的资料。
5. The cards with names and other data were folded on the upper right-hand corner so he can photograph them right-side-up. 这些带有名字和数据的胶片，都在右上角折了一下，这样他能正面朝上冲洗它们。
6. To offer peak performance in providing the electronic data and paperless trading global investors expect, Shanghai plans telecommunications networks as powerful as those in Manhattan. 为了能给国际投资者提供其所期望的电子数据和无纸化交易的出色服务，上海计划建设与曼哈顿的网络同样强大的远程通信网络。
7. The greatly increased volume and speed of data transmission that these technologies permit can be compared to the way in which a highway with many lanes allows more cars to move at faster speeds than a two-lane highway — hence, the information superh 这些技术使得数据传送的容量和速度大大提高。这种情况可与一条高速公路相比，多车道比双车道能使更多的车以更高的速度行驶 -- 信息高速公路由此得名。
8. Nor is DMV data used solely for matters related to driving. DMV的数据也并非仅用于与开车有关的事情。
9. How fast does the new micro process the data? 这新微型计算机处理数据有多快?
10. And even so, some starting data has to be guessed, since ground stations and satellites cannot see everywhere. 既使是这样，有些开始时的资料也不得不依靠推测，因为地面工作站和卫星不可能看到地球上的每一个地方。