名词:debatement 动词过去式:debated 过去分词:debated 现在分词:debating 第三人称单数:debates
n [C, U]
(a) formal argument or discussion of a question, eg at a public meeting or in Parliament, with two or more opposing speakers, and often ending in a vote （正式的）辩论, 讨论（如在公众集会或议会中, 常以表决结束）
*After a long debate, the House of Commons approved the bill. 经过长时间的辩论, 下议院通过了议案.
* to open the debate, ie be the first to speak 开始辩论（第一个发言）
* the motion under debate, ie being discussed 在辩论中的动议.
(b) argument or discussion in general （一般性的）辩论, 讨论
*After much debate, we decided to move to Oxford. 我们经充分讨论决定迁往牛津.
* We had long debates at college about politics. 我们上大学时曾长时间地辩论政治问题.
* Her resignation caused much public debate. 她辞职一事引起群众议论纷纷.
1 [I, Ipr, Tn, Tw, Tg] ~ (about sth) have a debate(2) about (sth); discuss (sth) 对（某事）进行辩论; 讨论（某事）
*What are they debating (about)? 他们在辩论什么?
* We're just debating what to do next. 我们正讨论下一步该做什么事.
* They debated closing the factory. 他们争论是否关闭工厂.
2 [Tn, Tw, Tg] think (sth) over in order to decide 考虑（某事物）以决定
*I debated it for a while, then decided not to go. 我反覆考虑後决定不去.
* I'm debating where to go on holiday. 我在琢磨到何处度假.
* He debated buying a new car, but didn't in the end. 他思量很久是否买辆新汽车, 但最後还是没买. debater n person who debates (debate 1) 辩论的人.
1. There have been too many unpleasant innuendoes in this debate and not enough facts. 在这场辩论中据实而争者少, 含沙射影者多, 令人生厌.
2. They are holding a vociferous debate. 他们在吵吵嚷嚷地辩论。
3. The debate was over whether to go ahead with Overlord in the spring of 1944, as the Russians and Americans favoured, or possibly to postpone the invasion for the sake of operations in the Mediterranean, as the British proposed. 辩论是针对是在1944年的春天像苏联和美国所赞成的那样继续进行“霸王”行动，还是如英国所提议的由于地中海地区军事行动的缘故可能推迟登陆。
4. These accomplishments immediately set off a worldwide debate: 这些成果立即引发了一场世界范围的辩论：
5. The matching process is also complicated by a philosophical debate among housing managers concerning the flavor of university life: 此外，宿舍管理人员中关于大学生活应有什么特色的理论争论也使这一安排过程复杂化。他们争论：
6. The debate over whether more police in Britain should be armed with guns has been going on for years. 多年来，对于英国是否该给更多的警员配枪一直争论不休。
7. The identification of even one gene does, however, have immense implications for the genetics/environment debate. 不过，哪怕辩出一个基因对于遗传与环境之争也是意义重大的。
8. His opening gambit at the debate was a direct attack on Government policy. 他在辩论中的策略是先直接抨击政府的政策.
9. How fast these nations should push ahead is a matter of debate. 这些国家应以多快的速度向前发展是人们争论的一个问题。
10. A conference organized earlier this year brought to London some of the biggest names from both sides of the debate. 在今年早些时候组织的一次会议上，论战双方的知名人物聚于伦敦，