n.排水沟,消耗,排水 vt.排出沟外,喝干,耗尽 vi.排水,流干
名词:drainer 动词过去式:drained 过去分词:drained 现在分词:draining 第三人称单数:drains 形容词:drainable
1 pipe or channel that carries away sewage or other unwanted liquid 下水管; 下水道; 阴沟
*We had to call a plumber to unblock the drains. 我们得叫管工来通一通下水道. =>illus at App
1 见附录1之插图, page vi.
2 (US) = plug-hole.
3 (idm 习语) (go) down the `drain (infml 口) be wasted or spoilt 被浪费; 白费
*A single mistake and all that time and money would go down the drain. 只要发生一个错误, 全部的时间和金钱就将尽付东流. a drain on sb/sth anything that continuously uses up sb's strength, time, money, etc 消耗精力、时间、金钱等的事物
*Military spending is a huge drain on the country's resources. 军费开支是国家资源的一大消耗. laugh like a drain => laugh.
1 [I, Ipr, Ip, Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] ~ (sth) (from sth); ~ (sth) (away/off) (cause liquid to) flow away （使液体）流走
*All the blood drained from his face, eg on hearing bad news. 他面无人色（如听到坏消息）.
* The bath-water slowly drained away. 浴池的水慢慢排走.
* The mechanic drained all the oil from the engine. 机械工将发动机中的油全部放走.
2 [Tn, Cn.a] empty (a glass, etc) 喝光, 喝乾（杯...中的饮料）
*drain one's glass dry 把杯中饮料喝光.
3 [I, Tn] (cause sth to) become dry as liquid flows away （使某物）流乾, 滴乾
*Leave the dishes to drain. 让碟子控乾.
* drain swamps/marshes 排乾沼泽地的水
* Land must be well drained for some crops. 某些作物要求土地有良好的排水性能.
4 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sb/sth (of sth) (fig 比喻) make sb/sth weaker, poorer, etc by gradually using up his/its strength, money, etc 消耗或耗尽某人[某物]的精力、金钱等
*feel drained of energy 觉得精疲力竭
* a country drained of its manpower 耗尽人力的国家.
5 (idm 习语) drink/drain sth to the dregs => dregs.
6 (phr v) drain away (fig 比喻) gradually disappear or fade 逐渐消失或消退
*Her life was slowly draining away, ie She was dying. 她的生命力在慢慢枯竭（她快死了）.
1. Ditches were dug to drain water from the swamp. 挖渠排掉沼泽的水。
2. During the 1960s and 1970s, politicians in my native country, India, used to wave the slogan "Stop the Brain Drain" — a reference to the fact that the cream of India was leaving for the lucrative shores of England and America. 在20世纪60和70年代，我的祖国印度的政客们常常喊着"制止人才外流"的口号, 它所指的实际上是这样一个事实: 印度的精英们正在离开印度，到能够赚钱的国家——英国和美国去。
3. Yet their numbers create a drain on resources that can't be renewed. 而这一小部分却造成了不可再生资源的流失。
4. George took off his jacket, rolled up his sleeves and pushed his right arm through the drain cover. 乔治脱掉外套，卷起袖子，将右胳膊伸进了阴沟盖。
5. Comments about "the Brain Drain" don't hold much water when every politician has a son or daughter aiming to go abroad. 当每一个政客都有一个儿子或女儿在往国外钻的情况下，有关"人才外流"的批评就不会有实际的意义。
6. On his way to the sweet shop, he dropped his fifty pence and it bounced along the pavement and then disappeared down a drain. 在他去糖果店的路上，50便士掉在地上，在人行道上跳了几下，掉进了阴沟里。
7. I was, indeed: the hole that has been surgically cut to drain urine had changed size and the connection to my urine bag was leaking. 我确实多用了，因为外科手术所造的排尿孔的大小改变了，于是尿袋的连接处发生渗漏。