1 [U] state or fact of existing 存在
*Do you believe in the existence of ghosts? 你相信有鬼吗?
* This is the oldest Hebrew manuscript in existence, ie that exists. 这是现存最早的希伯来语手稿.
* When did the world come into existence, ie begin to exist? 世界是什么时候产生的?
* I was unaware of his existence until now. 现在我才知道有他这么个人.
2 (a) [sing] manner of living, esp when this is difficult, boring, etc; way of living 生活（尤指艰苦、无聊等的生活）; 生活方式
*We led a happy enough existence as children. 我们小时候的生活过得很愉快.
* living a miserable existence miles from the nearest town 在远离城镇的偏僻地区, 过着凄惨的日子.
(b) [sing, U] continuance in life; survival 生存; 存活
*The peasants depend on a good harvest for their very existence, ie for existence itself. 农民要靠丰收才能活命.
* They eke out a bare existence (ie They scarcely manage) on his low salary. 他们靠他微薄的薪金勉强 口.
3 (idm 习语) the bane of sb's existence => bane.
the state of existingexistence of It is impossible to prove the existence of God.in existence The organization has been in existence for 25 years. Scientists have many theories about how the universe first came into existence (=started to exist) .existence of The very existence of the museum is threatened by lack of funding. the continued existence of economic inequalities [C usually singular]
the type of life that someone has, especially when it is bad or unhappy Pablo led a miserable existence when he first moved to San Juan.
→eke out a living/existenceateke
1. When he denied the train´s existence, I borrowed his copy of the timetable. 他说根本没有这趟车。于是我借他本人的列车时刻表，
2. When morning came, he had established the existence of one class of Fuchsian functions. He had only to prove the results, which took only a few hours. 到了早晨，他已经证实了一类富克斯函数的存在。他只须去证明其结果，而这只需要几个小时即可以解决。
3. They do not makes further intellectual and emotional effort needed to comprehend form in its full spatial existence. 他们在智力上和感情上不再作进一步的努力了, 而这种努力在理解空间实际存在的形体时是必要的.
4. He had proved the existence features of considerable magnitude. 他还证实了相当多水下特征的存在.
5. He simply voiced the quiet truth of the city's existence. 他只是沉着地告诉人们一个事实: 这个城市依然存在。
6. Do you really believe in the existence of God? 你真地相信上帝存在吗?
7. And without giving any consideration to the effects produced on the individuals and on their descendants by the artificial mode of existence imposed by the factory. 工厂把一种人为的生存方式强加给工人，却不顾及这种生存方式给工人及其后代带来的影响。
8. And existence an empty laugh braying across the mysteries; 如果存在不只是对神秘事物的一种空虚的笑声，
9. And the existence of underwater features of considerable magnitude. 水下特征差异极大。
10. A hermit leads a solitary existence. 隐士都过着孤独的生活。