1 [pred 作表语] ~ with sth having a good knowledge of sth 对某事物熟悉; 通晓
*facts with which every schoolboy is familiar 小 学生都熟悉的事实
* I am not very familiar with botanical names. 我不太熟悉植物学方面的名称.
2 ~ (to sb) well known (to sb); often seen or heard 为（某人）所熟知的; 经常见到或听到的
*facts that are familiar to every schoolboy 小学生都熟悉的事实
* the familiar scenes of one's childhood 儿时常见的情景
* the familiar voices of one's friends 朋友的熟悉的声音.
3 ~ (with sb) friendly and informal 友好的; 不拘礼节的
*She greeted them by their first names in a familiar way. 她和他们打招呼时亲切地直呼其名.
* I'm on familiar terms with my bank manager. 我与银行经理交情很好.
4 ~ (with sb) too informal; more friendly and informal than is acceptable 过分亲密的; 冒失的
*The children are too familiar with their teacher. 这帮小学生对老师过于随便.
n close friend or spirit 密友; 挚友; （供女巫等差遣）的精灵
*a witch's familiar 供女巫差遣的精灵.
1. We are so familiar with the fact that man ages, that people have for years assumed that the process of losing vigour with time, of becoming more likely to die the older we get, was something self-evident, 我们对人总是要衰老的现象并不陌生，多年来就已认识到。生命随着时间流失而丧失活力，人随着年龄的增长而接近死亡，这是不言而喻的，
2. What's happening now is a familiar experience for Johnson. 现在发生的一切对约翰逊并不陌生。
3. The organizer was familiar with the protocol of royal visits. 组织者熟悉国王出访的礼仪.
4. This realization now entered my life like a flow of water dividing previously dry and solid ground, creating two banks, one of which was my past — so familiar and predictable that even my unhappiness then made me happy now just to think of it; 这种认识就象一股水流一样流进我的生活，把先前干涸坚实的土地一分为二，造成了河流的两岸。河岸的一边是我的过去——这对我来说是如此熟悉, 如此地可以预料，以至于我只要想到它，原先使我感到不快的东西也会使现在的我变得开心起来。
5. They also show people who look like those we need to educate, since people can relate more when they see familiar faces and language they can understand. 这些书也向居民说明哪些人看起来是需要给予教育的人。当居民们看到熟悉的脸和能够理解的语言时，就会发表更多的议论和看法。
6. Such controversy is familiar ground to Brian Newman, 这样的争论布赖恩·纽曼已习以为常了。
7. Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Peter Pan, and Pinocchio all come from European fairy tales or stories and are as familiar to children here as they are in the United States. 睡美人、白雪公主、彼得·潘和匹诺曹都是欧洲童话故事里的人物，这里的孩子对他们的熟悉程度丝毫不亚于美国的孩子。
8. So that I was positive I should recognize it as familiar territory. 因此，我相信这段路对我来说会是很熟悉的。
9. Johnny, who's almost 10, can't read, but no one is worried. Indeed, Johnny has been going to school since he was 3, but it hasn't been the kind of school that we are familiar with. The kids learn all sorts of things about living together and getting 约翰尼快10岁了，但他还不会认字。但是没有人为此担忧。事实上，约翰尼3岁就开始上学了，但这种学校和我们所熟悉的那种学校不一样，孩子们学的都是有关如何与人一起生活、友好相处的知识，而不是什么课程。
10. You may have difficulty adjusting to a new culture and to those parts of the culture not familiar to you. 在适应一种新的文化及该文化中你不熟悉的那些部分时，你也许会遇到困难。