/'fɒrən; [US] 'fɔ:r-; `fɔrɪn/
1 (a) of, in or from a country or an area other than one's own 外国的
*foreign languages, goods, students 外国语、外国货、外国学生.
(b) dealing with or involving other countries 外交的; 涉外的
*foreign affairs 外交事务
* foreign policy 外交政策
* foreign trade 对外贸易
* foreign aid, ie money, etc given by one country to another in need 外国的援助.
2 ~ to sb/sth (fml 文) not belonging naturally to sb/sth; alien to sb/sth; uncharacteristic of sb/sth 非某人[某事物]所固有的; 与某人[某事物]的本性相异
*Dishonesty is foreign to his nature. 他的本性与弄虚作假格格不入.
3 (fml 文) coming or introduced from outside, usu by accident 来自外界的（通常指意外地）
*a foreign body (eg a hair or speck of dirt) in the eye 眼中的异物（如毛发或灰尘）.
1200-1300; Language: Old French;Origin:
forein, from Latin
from or relating to a country that is not your own foreign students Can you speak any foreign languages? the success of foreign companies in various industries I thought she sounded foreign. transactions in foreign currencies [only before noun]
involving or dealing with other countries
≠ domestic America's foreign policyforeign investment/trade etc Foreign competition provides consumers with a greater variety of goods. our budget for foreign aid (=financial help to countries in need) the Chinese Foreign Ministerbe foreign to sbformala)
to seem strange to someone as the result of not being known or understood
= be alien to somebody The language of finance and economics is quite foreign to me.b)
to be not typical of someone's usual character Aggression is completely foreign to his nature .foreign body/matter/objectformal
a piece of dirt, glass, or other material that has got inside something, especially someone's body, and that should not be there cells that are designed to attack and destroy foreign bodies>foreignnessn[U]
1. Even as a child, the sight of exotic trees, foreign maps and descriptions of tropic zones had moved me to tears, for I had a longing for a homeland for my soul." 即使是童年时期，异样的树木、外国的地图、关于热带地区的描述，都使我激动得流泪，因为我热切期望着找到我灵魂的归宿。”
2. Every year the United States is host to an average of 78,000 foreign high school level students, of which 3,000 are Brazilian. 美国平均每年要接待78,000名中学学历程度的外国学生，其中3,000个来自巴西。
3. Evidently, culture shock is something you cannot avoid when living in a foreign country. 很显然，文化冲击是一种生活在异国他乡的人们无法避免的东西。
4. But people who are cut off not only from foreign tourists, but even from their own countrymen can be hostile to travellers. 但是，那些不但与外国旅游者隔绝，而且与本国同胞隔绝的人们有可能对游客抱有敌意。
5. But few foreign graduates came home to "pay their pledge", as Nehru had put it. 但是只有寥寥无几的海外留学生像尼赫鲁所说的那样学成后回国"履行他们的诺言"。
6. While discount rose retailers watch their business bloom, U.S. rose growers are going bankrupt amid severe foreign competition. 在折价玫瑰花零售店生意兴隆的同时，美国的玫瑰种植商却在残酷的外来竞争中濒临破产。
7. The Premier gave an audience to the foreign ambassador. 总理接见了外国大使。
8. This hospital has been equipped by your foreign comrades. 这个医院的设备是你们的外国同志们提供的。
9. The court has no jurisdiction over foreign diplomats living in this country. 法院对驻本国的外交官无裁判权.
10. The study of a foreign language is necessarily difficult. 学一门外语必然很困难。